30 June 2020 (Tuesday) - Another Early Shift


The dogs slept well last night, and when they sleep well, so does the rest of the world.
As I scoffed a bowl o granola I watched an episode of “F is for Family” in which our heroes featured in a musical celebrating the life of the chap who invented the electric chair, then I sparked up the Internet (as I do most mornings). Facebook was rather quiet, but I did have over a hundred more “found it” logs on the geocaches I’d put in Kings Wood.

I rather took my life in my hands as I drove up the motorway this morning. There was a miles-long stream of lorries going at about forty miles an hour in the slow lane; every so often one of them was being overtaken by another lorry going at about forty-one miles an hour (and consequently taking over a mile to overtake). Most of the non-juggernaut traffic was dancing around these lorries weaving in and out of the fast lane up which the usual speed freaks were still speeding. Had the lorries all stayed in the slow lane we would have all been so much safer. As I danced in and out of the lorries I listened to the pundits on the radio who were interviewing some head teacher or other. This woman was trying to speak "posh" rather than the English she spoke every day, and as always when people try to speak "posh" they just sound silly. There was talk of children forming "isolation bubbles" in schools - the idea being that you can restrict how many people anyone comes into contact with. The school in question had "up to twenty-two support bubbles". "Up to"! What is that supposed to mean.

I got to work; we had cake at tea-time; I also finished my e-book. I'm currently having something of a literary retrospective and am re-reading stuff by John Wyndham. Today I finished "The Kraken Wakes" which is a book I can thoroughly recommend; when I last came up with a "top ten books" list (in March 2019) this one came in fifth. I've downloaded "Day of the Triffids" and am re-reading that one now.
As we worked and chatted this afternoon something came up that might have a bearing outside of work. Have we been breaking the law when pursuing the ancient and honourable art of rummaging under rocks looking for film pots? A *lot* of geocaches are found by first locating a gravestone, and using what is written on that gravestone to solve a puzzle. Dates of birth, dates of death... all feature in geo-puzzles. But Section 18 (1e) (Offences in cemeteries) of The Local Authorities' Cemeteries Order 1977 clearly states "No person shall... play at any game or sport in a cemetery." Does this include solving geo-puzzles? I wonder if I should squeal this to the geo-feds before someone else squeals me up?

I had hoped to take the dogs out this evening (being on an early shift) but it had been raining most of the day, and with the rain forecast until seven o’clock I decided against it. Instead I had a look at Bricklink and ordered up some bits and bobs. Ideally I would have gone to the Lego shop in Bluewater, but until some semblance of normality is restored, I think I shall be avoiding that place.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed along with a bottle of Aldi’s best red wine whilst watching “Bake Off: The Professionals”. Blue team lost tonight; they should have gone two weeks ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment