3 July 2018 (Tuesday) - Back to Work

When the dogs (ours or new-next-door’s) weren’t barking in the night, "er indoors TM" was snoring. I didn’t sleep at all well.
Fudge seemed rather soppy this morning; he wanted to come into the loo with me this morning, and his ears were right back. I wonder what’s up with him?

I had my usual rummage round the Internet over brekkie, and with not much happening there I took the dogs round the park for a walk. Rolo picked fights with dogs far bigger than himself (as he does) and despite being told expressly “no!” Fudge and Treacle went for a swim.
As we walked we met OrangeHead and her posse. OrangeHead was walking with a stick; I didn’t like to ask why.
We got home before it was *too* hot outside. It can get too hot for dogs, but ours would rather walk and get warm. And they did get to go in the river.

Once home we all had a drink. The dogs were asleep within seconds. I got changed and set off in the general direction of work. As I often do I had a little geo-mission on the way to work. Using Google Street View at home I was able to blag the required information for the Village Sign geocache in Hothfield. I was a tad worried when I got to Hothfield and saw the road sign from which I had blagged the information had been changed since the Google car had driven past, but it had been changed recently. The info I'd blagged was good, and soon I had the geocache in my hand. Happy dance.
Flushed with success I then drove on down the road where I soon round another cache. This other one gave me pause for thought though. Today on a bright summer's morning it was idyllic. However it was different when the thing first went live. The log of the First to Find mentioned taking a 4x4 for a spot of caching in the snow. Only two days before that log I'd been stranded overnight in Pembury; the snow was that bad. 
I've mentioned before (and been rather casually dismissed on the matter) about how the urge to log a First to Find can be rather dangerous. If the main road from Ashford to Tonbridge Wells (the A262) was near-on impassable and dozens of people were spending the night away from home because of the conditions, why on Earth would anyone mess about in a country lane hunting for a film pot under a rock?

I went to McDonald's for lunch. I wish I hadn't. I've always been the world's biggest McFan, but after today... I asked forMcScoff and McChips and a McFlurry. They made the McFlurry instantly and left it on the hot plate. Twelve minutes later the McScoff and McChips came out. As they handed it to me I gave the now liquid McFlurry back explaining that it had melted in the heat of the day and the heat of the hot plate. The chubby spotty oik behind the counted grumbled about making another one. I sat down to eat and realised they hadn't given me a straw. for the McFizz. Then the Chubby spotty oik brought over the very same melted McFlurry I'd given back to him.
I quite like the hospital canteen - the food comes out quicker and is cheaper... I shall start going there more often.

And so back to work. What with night work, rostered days off and a week’s holiday it seems like I’ve been away from the place for ages. Originally I was supposed to be going to Turkey for a week with "My Boy TM" but "er indoors TM" couldn’t get the time off work. I wish I’d gone anyway. Mind you I had plans for my time off, and I got quite a few of them done. Two decent geo-walks, a day’s fishing, a geo-road trip. I got to pressure-wash the back yard and the pond’s splash-pool. I got the new lino in the shed and painted the front of the house. I didn’t get to put out the new geo-series I was planning, but it was too hot for that,
Whilst I can’t say I was desperate to get back to work, I *certainly* wasn’t feeling physically sick at the thought of going back to work which I would have been (and was) two years ago.

Work was actually rather busy; I was a little late getting out. As I came home it was obvious that the England football team were playing; I could hear football-related shouting and screaming coming from all directions.
I wish I understood the attraction…

No comments:

Post a Comment