24 June 2009 (Wednesday) - The Lady of the Woods


My new shed was delivered today. I say “delivered” – I came home to find a note to say they’d tried to deliver it, and had taken it back to Tonbridge. That’s handy. It’s not as if I can get to Tonbridge and back in less than half a day. They say they will try to redeliver it tomorrow. Let’s hope so. Otherwise I will be taking Friday afternoon off.


To B&Q to buy a contrafibulating galactivator for the chodbin. ‘er indoors TM had emailed me with specific instructions of what to buy from B&Q. She is now bleating that the thing is too tall. Well, I bought it on her say-so, and it’s up to her to fit the thing. I’ve done my bit – I went to the shop.

Whilst there, I also looked at electrical fittings for my new shed. It’s funny how you see the same old thing in the shop, year in year out. You have this idea that one day you’ll get that specific thing for a specific purpose. Or that is, you have this idea until you actually need it. Then they don’t make them any more. Electrical fittings are like that. B&Q have had a waterproof six way jobbie on the shelf for years. It would be ideal in the new shed. But have they got one? No. Does anyone working there have any idea what I’m talking about? No.


Last Tuesday I had words with BT because they wouldn’t stop phoning me to sell me their latest deal. This evening some spotty oik from BT turned up on the doorstep trying to sell me their latest deal. I am seriously not impressed.



And so to arky-ologee club. This time for a three mile walk around the countryside, starting with “The Lady of the Woods” – a tree which has been carved into the shape of a praying pregnant woman. The thing has been in the woods for at least sixty years – there are reliable reports of it being in place in the late 1940s. No one knows who carved it – the local opinion is that it was done during the mid 40s by a prisoner of war, but there’s no evidence to confirm or deny it.

And then on to where chalk was once quarried and shipped to London. We thrashed (literally) our way along a disused railway line and found old railway things buried in undergrowth. We braved swaps, and scrambled up the slope to see the newly dug badger set. Twenty five of us ventured out on the trip, with ages varying from ten to eighty-six. I just hope I can scramble up slopes with the best of ‘em when I’m eighty-six….


No comments:

Post a Comment