29 November 2020 (Sunday) - Another Day Off

I sulked a little as I went to the toilet at four o’clock this morning. When "er indoors TM" goes to the loo there is a very noisy mass exodus as the entire wolf-pack follow her. When I go for a pee no one stirs, but I come back to find dogs in the warm patch that I’d left.

 

I slept for another four hours then got up. My chivvying Sidney into the garden bore fruit today (if you can call Pug turds fruit), and as my toast cooked I shoved a swab up my nose. The NHS has instigated a program of testing asymptomatic staff for the COVID-19 virus. Twice a week I test myself, and if all is well I carry on regardless. What happens if all is not well remains to be seen, but unless the vaccine gets a move on, I’m sure we will find out eventually. After all, these masks and social distancing aren’t at all preventative. Thy are just putting off the inevitable.

For all that I was feeling a tad under the weather, the test was negative. Perhaps I am sickening for something else?

 

I scoffed toast and peered into the Internet. I sent out a few birthday wishes, and I saw that Dave Prowse (The Green Cross Code Man and Darth Vader) had died. He was eighty-five. I once spent a day standing next to him at the University of London. I was selling a friend’s artwork; he was selling autographs. Neither of us did a roaring trade that day, but he seemed pleasant enough.

For once there wasn’t much else happening on-line.

 

Elliott arrived to have a look at the leaking flat roof. As he put it right, I pootled in the garden. Perhaps it is the wrong time of year to be mowing the lawn, but with four dogs crapping on it, the grass needs to be short so we can find the turds. I found, fetched and flushed four bucketfuls of the things today.

And with lawn mowed and turds flushed I raked up no end of leaves. It took a couple of hours to mow and rake, and once I’d had enough the garden really didn’t look that different to when I’d started. By then Elliott had done with the roof (for now). There’s still a lot to do, but that will keep until the better weather in the spring. Hopefully the fix will see us through this winter, and a complete new roof will be the subject of a blog entry next spring.

 

We had a bit of lunch, then took the dogs out for a walk. We drove up to Ashford Warren where the leaf litter was so thick we couldn’t find the footpaths. But we had a good little wander about. There was a geocache we hadn’t found right at the far end of the wood so we went up to see if we could find it. We couldn’t, despite having quite a good hint as to what we were looking for. Mind you the description did say that the co-ordinates given might be a bit squafty, and having since spoken with the chap who’d hidden the thing it would seem that our GPS was about twenty yards awry from his.

We did find the cache that was on the way back to the car though.

 

We came home, and "er indoors TM" made her Christmas wreath. Whilst we were out she carefully and caringly gathered some of nature’s bountiful harvest (or wantonly ransacked a couple of trees, depending on your personal perspective). The wreath itself looks OK in the piccie – what you don’t see is the boot lace and gaffa tape holding on to the kitchen door. I’ve been charged with attaching it to the front door, and I’ve been told I can’t use nails. I wonder how this will turn out. 

Oh – and today is four years since we got Treacle. "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" once described her as “a pain in the glass”. He’s not wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment