26 November 2020 (Thursday) - This n That

I came downstairs this morning to an intense smell of dog turds, but despite a vigorous search couldn’t find any. I suspect a Sid-fart. Let’s hope so.

I made toast and watched another episode of “People Just Do Nothing” in which our hero’s girlfriend was looking for a suitable wedding venue. But not just any old wedding venue – one with the right atmosphere and “ambulance” (ambience?). And again I recognised so many people’s mannerisms in the show. What is it with the younger generation these days? Couples will take out mortgages and have children but getting married is too big a step.

 

It was rather dark and dismal as I set off to work this morning. As I drove there was all sorts of talk about the ongoing pandemic on the radio. There was a lot of discussion about when will we all get over it. But it wasn't "get over" as in "get better", it was "get over" as in "pay for it all". There was also an interview with the shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer who took great delight in finding fault in all that the government has done, but seemed rather devoid of idea or suggestions of her own.  But (as always) money is more important than people.

There was also an interview with my MP. He's got the hump because the entire county of Kent has will be put into the highest COVID-19 restriction tier next week. One small part of Kent has the highest COVID-ity in the country and so the entire county pays the price.

 

There was also a lot of hot air spouted about Christmas and how lock-down is stuffing up the right of people to go out carol singing. Whilst I'm not overly fussed about having the righteous caterwauling on street corners, I'm really keen to bring back urchins squalling carols on the doorsteps in a thinly-veiled rue to extort cash from the public. I used to go carol singing myself fifty years ago and it used to be a good little earner. "My Boy TM" used to go carol-singing from mid-November to supplement his pocket money.

And talking of Christmas I’ve found myself thinking about this “up to three households can meet indoors during a five-day Christmas period of 23-27 December” ruling that has been agreed by the leaders of all four nations of the UK. And on reflection my opinion is that it is utter bollox. Given that we have two children we now have to choose between seeing either my parents or mother-in-law or father-in-law over the Christmas holiday. And whoever we don’t see will probably take offence and with good reason. Mind you … I say “Christmas holiday”; I have only two of those five days off work.

 

I got to work and (pausing only briefly to stick a Munzee on a lamp post) I got on with the daily round. As I worked there was quite a bit of sniggering. A colleague had to take the day off at short notice as she had "leakage"; I would have chuckled too, but currently suffering the same affliction I know that an iffy roof is no joke.

 

Having left home in the dark I came home in the dark to a house in uproar. "er indoors TM" was in the throes of taking up the stair carpet and had found splits in the wood on some of the stairs. I suppose this is only to be expected in a house that was built over a hundred and forty years ago. She affixed repairs (with a hammer) then boiled up some dinner and we watched another episode of “The Crown” which again whilst making for good viewing wasn’t particularly historically accurate. The scandal of Katherine and Nerissa Bowes-Lyon  came to light in 1987, some three years after Prince Harry was born.

But I stayed awake during it, and staying awake when watching telly is always good…              

No comments:

Post a Comment