14 November 2020 (Saturday) - After the Night Shift

Last night’s night shift went rather well. Apart from a minor run-in with an anti-Kp(a) (a member of the Kell blood group system!) very little of note happened. Mind you I had a pot noodle for whatever it is you call the three o’clock meal. Usually I have a sandwich then, but what with a rear molar missing I thought a sandwich might have been a tad ambitious. In retrospect I think the pot noodle was ambitious.

As I drove home the pundits on the radio were pontificating on the news of the day. There was a lot of talk about the sacking/resignation of Dominic Cummings. The antics of the chap have been headline news because of the position he holds (held). He has been Prime Minister’s chief advisor despite being unelected in any sort of popular vote. He got paid close on a hundred thousand pounds for his “advice”, and there’s over a hundred other such advisors. I would have thought that the whole idea of a democracy is (surely) that the nation’s leader is advised by those we elect, not those he appoints?

There was also talk about how the government has announced that the sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned within a decade. I suppose it needs doing, but will electric cars be feasible by then? Personally I doubt it.

 

I got home and went to bed. I didn’t sleep well. “Red Alert” was declared a few times too often by the canine members of the household.

I got up,  made toast, and peered into the Internet. It was much the same as it ever is. 

Despite my phone giving me a “yellow alert” warning of rain we drove down to Brockhill park where (by one of life’s happy co-incidences) we ran into "My Boy TM"’s in-laws. Bearing in mind the current COVID-19 rules we had a little socially-distanced walk. Several passers-by gave us odd looks as we went round the lake; were we an illegal gathering? I don’t think so. I’ve read the rules a few times now, and they are vague at best. It is quite acceptable to chat with random strangers that you meet when out; I do it quite often when out with the dogs. So why not chat with family if you happen to run into them? We’ve not met up for months – it was good to catch up. But odd. Is conducting bellowed conversations from a government-sanctioned distance just to placate the “Karen from Facebook”s to become the new normal?

Mind you have you ever tried to get dogs to socially distance? Our wolf-pack was so happy to meet Rolo and Marley.

We said our goodbyes and came home. I gave the dogs a quick bath (they were filthy) and made myself a cuppa whilst I had another look at the Internet. I’d seen an advert for getting your dogs drawn as cartoons, so I spent an age getting the exact photo I wanted to be cartoon-ified, and spent a while deciding on the right canvas size... then saw that whoever it was that was doing it wanted a hundred and fifty quid. They can go whistle. 

"er indoors TM" boiled up a particularly good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching this week’s episode of “Star Trek: Discovery”. When the new series started on October 16, I described the episode as “utter crap”. But this evening’s episode was perhaps one of the best Star Trek episodes I have ever seen  That show has improved beyond all belief in just one month (and that is speaking as a life-long trekkie with trekkie tattoos).

No comments:

Post a Comment