11 November 2019 (Monday) - Why Aye Man


After laying wide awake worrying about that which I could do nothing I got up. As I hosed out my sinuses this morning they bled a little. Is that a good thing?
I made myself some toast and watched another episode of “Green Eggs and Ham”. It’s not bad I suppose, but taking a book made up of fifty words and spinning it out over a series of four ours is going to take some poetic licence.

I then had a look at the internet in case it had changed overnight. I saw that it was the thirty-sixth anniversary of the broadcasting of the first episode of a favourite TV show of mine; “Auf Wiedersehen, Pet”. Thirty-six years…
I had an email from Crosskeys. They run coach tours, and since I went to Bruges with them a few years ago I get daily emails advertising trips out. I quite like seeing where I might go and what I might do; today they suggested a coach trip to London to see a musical. I was all up for it until I saw the price… for two of us it would be close on two hundred quid.
Still, what’s money for if not to squander foolishly?

As I drove to work through the torrential rain the pundits on the radio were talking about the Video Assistant Referee systems being used in football matches. Back in the day referees would make erroneous decisions because they didn’t see whatever had happened in the football pitch, and everyone would be up in arms about the wrong decisions having been made. Now with the entire football game being watched and recorded on video from all directions, the correct decisions are being made, but still people are unhappy.
Go figure.

As I walked in to work I saw quite a queue of people. Probably twenty to thirty people were waiting their turn in a queue outside Costa. I can’t see the attraction of the stuff. It’s not bad, but the price of one cup of their stuff pays for a month’s worth of coffee from the works tea club.

I got on with work. As I did I looked at the rain and the cloud. Today there was a transit of Mercury. The planet Mercury crossed in front of the Sun, and with a proper telescope you would have been able to see it. The astro club used to have such a telescope. Back in the day there would have been a day off work to look at the transit (even if it was cloudy and wet). I don’t think they organised anything like that today. Such a shame…

"er indoors TM" has gone bowling. I shall watch some telly. There was a huge bag of crisps in the cupboard – I shall scoff them…

No comments:

Post a Comment