15 July 2019 (Monday) - This n That


I had a reasonable night’s sleep. It would have been better had I not been fighting one or other of the dogs for bed space in the small hours.
I got up a little earlier had I had intended and watched Saturday’s “Thunderbirds Are Go!” over a bowl of granola, then fired up the lap-top to see what had happened in the world overnight. A *lot* of people had liked the photos I’d posted on-line over the weekend. Other people had been busy this weekend; out walking, or flying kites, or posting wedding photos. I do like seeing what people get up to.
Amazon was having a sale today. They were selling Fire tablets for thirty quid, and Paperwhite e-readers which do far less for fifty quid. What was that all about?
I checked my emails – I had a *lot*. Loads of “Found It” logs from people who’d found the geocaches I’d hidden over the last few months and years.
And then (taking care not to wake anyone) I got ready for work.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how fifty years ago this week Apollo 11 took the first men to walk on the surface of the Moon. They spoke about the bright new future of space exploration that was envisioned and that didn't happen. I must admit that I don't remember Apollo 11 (but I do remember Apollo 13), but I've always been disappointed that the future didn't turn out quite how I thought it might. The pundits on the radio played part of a speech by the American Vice-President (whoever he is?) in which a return to the Moon was promised, and they spoke a little about the planned missions to Mars without (for once) treating the whole thing as faintly ridiculous.
After this they wheeled on Sir Oliver Letwin who droned on about Parliament and Brexit and completely lost my attention. I returned to the radio in time to hear allegations of racism being levelled at President Trump. Have I ever mentioned that Mr Trump reminds me of Zaphod  Beeblebrox (President of the Galaxy in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe). As President his job wasn't to wield any power at all, but to draw attention away from those who actually did run the show.
I suspect Mr Trump is doing a *very* good job of this.

 Having made good time up the motorway I went on to Sainsburys where I got petrol, and then went in to work. I collected my camo tape from the Amazon locker, and then made a start on the early shift. Usually an early start makes for an early finish, but not today. I wasn’t *that* late getting out though.

Once home I ran the dogs round the co-op field, and once "er indoors TM" had boiled up gammon and chips she went bowling. I did the ironing whilst catching up with telly that I’d missed. The last episode of “Gentleman Jack” was entertaining enough, but the first episode of the new season of “Poldark” was a grave disappointment. Far from flaunting a heaving bosom, Demelza seems to have taken to wearing a hessian sack.
Such a shame…

No comments:

Post a Comment