28 May 2019 (Tuesday) - This n That


Over brekkie I watched the second episode of “Bonding” which featured the actress who played “Janet” in “The Good Place”. It was a rather good episode. Netflix is certainly worth eight quid a month. And now that “Game of Thrones” has finished I find myself asking what I get from Sky for forty quid a month that I wouldn’t get from a Freeview box.
I’m also hearing good things about “Now TV”. I shall wait for the upcoming family wedding to pass, then I will seriously review my telly provision.

I then sparked up my lap-top to have a quick look-see at the Internet. Someone with whom I used to work had been in Edinburgh over the weekend taking part in the marathon there. Since he’s taken up running he’s lost weight to the point of appearing quite gaunt. Bearing in mind I probably cover more distances on my walks than he does on his runs… perhaps I might walk a tad faster?
I sent out a birthday wish to a friend.
And with no emails at all I got ready for work.

I finally found where I'd left my car. It had rained overnight, so that went some way to washing the smears off of the windscreen.  Sooner or later I was going to have to do something about that.
Navigating the (hopefully) temporary traffic lights at the bottom of the road I was soon on my way to Pembury. As I drove there was all sorts of drivel on the radio about last week's elections for the European Parliament and their implications for the upcoming Brexit negotiations. It was something of a shame that no one having anything new to say on the matter didn't stop people wittering on ad-nauseum about it. They even wheeled on some religious-type who tried to claim that Brexit was God's will; likening the European Union to the Tower of Babel.
 The pundits on the radio also interviewed Diane Abbott who (again) came over as a very good reason *not* to vote for the Labour party, and with the announcement that there are now a dozen people itching to take over as Prime Minister I was glad to get to work and turn the radio off.

I did what I couldn't avoid at work. At a tea break I saw the news that one of our favourite pubs to visit when walking has had the thumbs-down from the health inspectors. And somewhere we visited (and I felt was one of the most pretentious pubs ever)  has been billed as the best pub in Kent.
I also saw that there's going to be a "Gavin and Stacey" Christmas special. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a disappointment...

Having made rather good time coming home I thought I might spend a few minutes getting petrol. I got to the petrol station, put the nozzle into the hole, squeezed the trigger… and nothing happened. Looking round the forecourt nothing was happening for anyone else. Then I saw all the people in the kiosk banging on the door.
One of the Sainsbury’s staff arrived. There had been a power cut. We couldn’t get petrol; those that had just got petrol couldn’t pay for it, and couldn’t get out of the kiosk either.
I came home.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we washed down with a bottle of white wine. It has to be said that the wine was “a tad bleugh”, but wine so often is. As we guzzled we watched this evening’s episode of “Bake Off”. I didn’t guess the winners, but I certainly predicted the loser.

I do hope those dogs let me sleep tonight…

No comments:

Post a Comment