11 April 2017 (Tuesday) - Late Shift

Being on my first late shift for some months I tried to have something of a lie-in. It was a minor success. The puppy spent much of the night marching all over me (odd how she doesn’t walk over "er indoors TM") but she seemed to settle down shortly after 5am (the time I usually give up trying to sleep) and I got two hours’ kip.

Over brekkie I sparked up my lap-top and peered into cyberspace. Last night I sent out an invitation to the geo-world asking if anyone fancied a walk on Sunday. I had quite a few replies this morning. Back when my shift pattern gave me time off mid-week I used to organise a lot of these walks. I quite miss them.
I had an email which boiled my piss somewhat. Someone logged a “Needs Maintenance” on a geocache I’d hidden as they felt it needed a new paper log. This same person has had a dozen of their own caches archived as they’ve not done any maintenance of their own and they have the cheek to suggest I maintain mine.

I popped the leads onto the dogs and we went out to meet up with "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM". We had a rather good walk round the park. Fortunately there was no one else using the swings and roundabouts as ""Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" and the dogs wreaked mayhem, and we spent a rather enjoyable ten minutes playing with the dogs in the river. Equipped with soggy dogs we made our way home. As we walked we met up with OrangeHead. Unusually she was without her usual posse, and she was amazingly civil.
Once home we waited for "Daddy’s Little Angel TM"’s friend to arrive in her car. Despite only living half a mile away and despite having been to our house countless times she couldn’t find our road. How can people’s local knowledge be so bad?

I then took my car full of rubbish to the tip. It would have taken a fraction of the time had one person not parked in such a stupid, selfish and thoughtless way. Having parked as close as he could to the particular skip he wanted, an idiot had seriously obstructed access to the tip. However he’d only obstructed it; not blocked it. He *wasn’’t* happy with all the cars slowly driving past his car only inches from the door he dared not open. Had he parked a few yards further on everyone (including himself) would have been happier.

Once I’d unloaded my rubbish I set off to work. The pundits on the radio were discussing the composer Bach. It was a tad dull so I turned the radio off. Having wasted time at the tip I didn’t go to the garden centre but went straight to Maidstone. I had McLunch, then braved Aldi where the normal people were out in force. Dozens of people swarming about, not one looking at where they were going or what they were doing.

Late shifts in Maidstone start at 1.15pm. Almost two hours later than they did in Canterbury. I had time to do so much more this morning, but I’m not sure how getting home at 10pm is going to pan out in the long term…

No comments:

Post a Comment