5 December 2022 (Monday) - An Interview

I couldn't get warm when I went to bed last night. I eventually nodded off but Treacle came to bed with “er indoors TM at quarter past midnight. In making herself comfortable, Treacle pulled all the blankets off of me. I lay awake for much of the rest of the night. To add insult to injury, once I'd tiddled the puppies “er indoors TM  was snoring quite impressively when I dumped the puppies on her.
 
I sparked up the telly with a view to be watching an episode of "Stranger Things" but found myself wrapped up with one of these ten-minute adverts that run on early morning telly. Somme rather foxy young lady (in a very tight leotard) was telling the world that "sitting is the new smoking" and that rather  than just "being sedentary" people should be "sitting actively". In order to "sit actively" she advocated some treadmill-thingy that you peddled whilst you sat.  It looked interesting; I was actually sold on the thing (and her tight leotard!). I was actually toying with the idea of getting one (the treadmill-thingy, not the tight leotard!) until she told us the price. Two hundred and fifty quid!! I had been prepared to splash out twenty quid on it...
 
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were gabbling non-stop about how the leading English footballer Raheem Sterling had flown home from the ongoing football world cup. As I drove the story was that his fiancé and children had been held at gun-point by armed robbers. But three hours later the story was that no one had been home at the time of the break-in and no violence had been used.
I find myself wondering just how much of the morning news is “news” and how much is “made up bollox”.
And on seeing how well they are doing in the opinion polls, that idiot Sir Kier Starmer has decided it is time to make the Labour Party unelectable (yet again)
 
I got to work and bided my time until eleven o’clock when I put on a tie. I had an interview for the newly-created position of departmental training lead. On the one hand I’m very content doing what I’m doing. On the other hand I’ve had everyone from the boss’s boss’s boss to the lowliest trainee all telling me I should apply for it.
The interview went as well as any interview went, but it isn’t how well I did, is it? It is how well the other candidates did. But I’ve been thinking about this job for the last month or so. Do I want it? In all honesty I’m not keen for several reasons. I’d do less nights and weekends (and consequently have less time in the woods with the dogs). And I’d have to do that awful drive to Pembury more often. And I’d have to be sensible again as it is a management position. It would be a lot more hard work for (pretty much) the same money. And I’m actually quite content doing what I’m currently doing.
Mind you, no one’s offered me the job yet. Let’s not put the cart before the horse.
 
I’d booked the afternoon as leave. I came home and found my new trousers (that I’d ordered from Amazon) thrown against the front door. The Amazon driver has reported on-line that he’d handed them to the resident. He hadn’t…
Once I’d changed out of my suit I walked the dogs round the block. Morgan growled at other dogs as they passed by on the other side of the road. I wish he wouldn’t do that.
 
I watched an episode of “Stranger Things” as I did some ironing. Ironing is dull. And with ironing ironed I slept through an episode of ”Ancient Aliens” in which ancient aliens had hidden black holes on the sea bed for no explicable reason.
 
“er indoors TM went bowling (as she does) and I sat with sleeping dogs and watched a film on Netflix “Strangeways Here We Come” was odd in the extreme… I quite liked it…
I wonder if I’ve got that job… I wonder if I want it?

No comments:

Post a Comment