16 December 2022 (Friday) - Still Cold

Once Treacle finally shut up (four woofing fits at bed time for absolutely no reason whatsoever!) I got to try out the new mattress. It wasn’t bad, I suppose. The trouble is that after yesterday’s debacle, I really don’t want the thing and would quite happily throw it away and write off the cost. Isn’t that petty of me?
Mind you the mattress is a lot thicker than the old one, and I fell out of bed rather than got up this morning.
 
The dogs were a little excitable this morning so we went for an early walk… although it was cold, we weren’t out early enough; the roads were solid with traffic. I had this plan to go up to Kings Wood, but having queued for fifteen minutes and only moved a hundred yards, and with still about a mile to the motorway’s roundabout I changed plans. The mud in Orlestone Woods would be frozen, so we went there instead.
As we drove down so the pundits on the radio were giving very mixed messages. On the one hand there was righteous indignation about the nurses going on strike yesterday. And on the other hand there was consternation about nurses having to get hand-outs from food banks because they can afford to keep their families either warm or fed, but not both.
We got to the woods. We’ve not been there for some time (since 18th October) and the about of forestry work that had happened was amazing. So many trees had been felled. We did our usual circuit, and sure enough the usually phenomenally muddy bits were still phenomenally muddy but were frozen solid, so we didn’t get too mucky. But Morgan was something of a pain. In Kings Wood the path from the car park goes directly away from the road. In Orlestone Woods it runs parallel with the road (albeit a hundred yards away through the woods) for a while, and as we came back to the car so Morgan ran through the woods and across the road. He’s done that before. And there’s another part of Orlestone where he runs amok too. He’s as good as gold in Kings Wood, but goes mental at Orlestone.
Such a shame.
 
We came home for a late brekkie. As I scoffed so the dogs snored and I had a look at the Internet. The bed company had the cheek to ask me to fill in a customer satisfaction questionnaire… I wasn’t polite.
They also sent a second email an hour or so later asking me to fill out a second questionnaire about the actual delivery…
I also had an email from the power company. They estimate that next year I will use two pounds ninety-three pence more leccie and nine pence less gas compared to this year… Bearing in mind the soaring energy costs I’m rather sceptical about their estimates.
I spent a few minutes trying to sort out getting rid of the old mattress… getting shot of it don’t come cheap. I put it up on the freebie websites and asked the bulk waste removal company if they took mattresses.
They never replied. If any of my loyal readers want a mattress…
 
“er indoors TM came home shortly after mid-day and the dogs were *so* pleased to see her. They make no secret as to who is their favourite.
There was so much we could have done today, but everywhere is still icy from Monday’s snow and it is so cold. So we slobbed in front of the telly watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation whilst watching the SmartMeter’s dial fly as we’d put the living room heater on.
 
We watched a couple of episodes of “The Crown” over a rather good curry… I’ve had a rather good couple of days off work cuddled up on the sofa with the dogs. I didn’t get any of the things done which I had planned. I’m blaming the snow for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment