11 December 2022 (Sunday) - Non Stop

I slept for eight hours solidly last night, but then being post night shift does that. I took the puppies outside to a very frosty morning. There had been no snow overnight; there had been threats of it and friends in Hastings has posted to Facebook yesterday evening to say there was snow there.
The puppies did their thing then went to bother “er indoors TM as I had brekkie.
What with the bitterly cold weather and snow having been forecast we’d not planned much for today. I peered into the internet with a vague wondering of what the day might hold. A few of the local pubs were posting that they had some limited availability for Sunday lunch, and a few were posting that they were already fully booked. The Reindeer Farm were posting that they were looking forward to seeing everyone who had bought tickets. And one or two people were selling tickets to the Christmas thingy at Leeds Castle. Isn’t this a sign of our times? Back in the day you would just turn up and hope. Nowadays everything has to be booked up long in advance.
 
I set the heating to be on all day. It’s very cold, and the idiot government are giving me sixty quid a month toward the cost of the heating bill, so why not. Mind you it seems odd that the government can put a cap on the price of gas bought from Russia, but can’t (or won’t) on anyone else.
 
As the house warmed up I went into the garden and harvested a bumper crop of dog dung. Dog dung is much easier to harvest when it is frozen solid.
We then spent the morning up in the attic room tidying up. You wouldn’t believe just how much crap we’d accumulated up there… figurative crap mind you. It was a shame that Morgan felt the need to add some actual crap. He got told off about that.
As “er indoors TM sorted some of the boxes we’d unearthed I spent a few minutes chiselling away at the ice in the freezer. The freezer had iced up so much that the door wasn’t closing properly. And with the freezer door finally closing I started carrying boxes of rubbish out to the shed for storage until I can do a tip run later in the week. It was then when I slipped. Morgan had done a tiddle on the patio earlier which had frozen and I nearly went arse over tit over it. That rather hurt…
 
Bearing in mind that by early afternoon the temperature had got about as warm as it was ever going to get, I took the dogs round the block. We were only out for ten minutes but still managed two episodes.
In the first I upset a young mother. With her children screaming “dooooooog!!” and sprinting straight at us, I hurriedly led the (terrified) dogs over the road. Young mother was indignant that her children were friendly and wanted to see the dogs. I said they could see my dogs from the other side of the road; they had no idea that they’d frightened the pups. She tried to start an argument; I left her to it.
And then when we were nearly home a small child walking down the pavement toward us sprinted into the road in front of an oncoming car, and then calmly announced that it was frightened of dogs. Father smiled an embarrassed smile at me and at the driver who’d just nearly flattened the brat and told the brat it should be more frightened of getting run over.
 
Once home Bailey asked to go into the garden, and despite my earlier efforts immediately found a turd to eat. So I went round again and found another bumper crop of dog dung.
As I harvested so the nice builder man arrived and chopped a lump or two out of the cupboard around the boiler so that (hopefully) the boiler man can service it.
Father-in-law popped in for a chat, and then I read up some more on the car’s cruise control before falling asleep with the dogs for an hour or so.
 
When I woke there was snow. An eight of an inch of the stuff had laid. The puppies had never seen snow before; I’m not sure they were impressed. They’d not seen a Christmas tree before either; it was a shame Morgan had to eat one of the baubles. Much of the bauble has gone – presumably down his neck. He seems none the worse for it, but I wish he wouldn’t do that.
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good curry which we washed down with a bottle of Sainsbury’s Pinot Noir.
Today had promised to be rather dull – I didn’t stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment