1 December 2022 (Thursday) - The Advent Calendar Begins...

Many years ago (forty-six to be precise) my best mate of the time learned a new word. For a few months absolutely everything in his world was described as "monotonous". Regular readers of this drivel will know that this best describes my mornings. I lay awake for far too long, take puppies into a cold dark morning then take them upstairs where they snore on top of “er indoors TM  as I scoff toast whilst watching whatever drivel that Netflix has to offer.
On some mornings the monotony is broken by my forgetting where I'd parked the car and spending twenty minutes roaming the streets trying to find it, but there was no such excitement this morning.
 
As I drove to work the pundits of the radio  were banging on about how long ambulances wait outside hospitals before they can unload their patients and about various enquiries into quite tragic NHS failings. There has been a very noticeable change in the  BBC's attitude toward the NHS over the last few weeks. The BBC clearly doesn't like the idea of strikes in the NHS, and is sticking in the knife. What the BBC tends to ignore is that the NHS is massively overworked, and who on Earth is going to choose a career in the NHS when you can get far more money for far less training and far less responsibility by doing no end of other jobs. For example standing on a train platform swearing at the passengers (as I have experienced) pays ten grand a year more than the average nurse gets.
And then there was the sad tale of Ngozi Fulani (chief executive of Sistah Space) and  Lady Susan Hussey (who has resigned as an honorary Lady of the Household, at Buckingham Palace). Ms Fulani was attending some reception at Buckingham Palace where Lady Hussey made the mistake of asking Ms Fulani "Where are you from" even though Ms Fulani is as British as Lady Hussey. But having declared that she found  the encounter as a “violation” and said the experience will “never leave me”, Ms Fulani then went on the radio this morning and said that "in her culture" people had respect for the elderly (like Lady Hussey)... Am I being an old reactionary in wondering exactly what Ms Fulani meant by "in her culture"?
In the meantime after sixty years of (unpaid) service to the Royal Family, Lady Hussey has been thrown under the bus.
 
I went to Sainsburys this morning as I needed some biccie bars for lunch. I got a few bottles of plonk and Baileys and amaretto too. Here's a tip - amaretto is cheaper in Lidl than in Sainsburys. I know that as the nice lady filling the shelves in Sainsbury told me so.
And then when I went to pay... there was no one on the tills so I had to use the self-service checkouts. Because I was scanning bottles of wine they had to be approved. As I scanned the first bottle so the red light above the checkout lit up. At that point the sour-faced old bat (in Sainsburys uniform) who had been watching my every move (like a hawk) made a point of walking away and turning her back so she could pretend she hadn't seen the red light.
Eventually she did what she had to, but it was clearly very much under protest. I suggested that if they had staff operating the proper tills she wouldn't have had to put herself out. She didn't actually say "F*** you, you big fat f***er", but she did sarcastically ask me which of the staff I thought might have gone to the till to open it up. She looked like she was going to explode when I suggested any one of the four people that she'd just been gossiping with.
 
As I was peering down my microscope so my phone rang. It was the nice lady at Sky TV. Did I have five minutes to spend with her looking at my account to see if there were any savings to be had? We spent five minutes, and she offered to cut my monthly payment by a fiver. That was kind of her. She then said that as I'd been with them for twenty-two years (!) they had a deal with the Sky Cinema package that I might like. I must admit that I wasn't overly keen on the movies, but “er indoors TM likes them, and the Paramount Plus channel comes free with the Sky Cinema package. And in this brave new world you need the Paramount Plus channel to be able to watch Star Trek. So after the fiver she'd taken off and my loyalty bonus I ended up getting eighteen quid a month's stuff for only four quid extra. I saw that as something of a result.
But I found myself wondering... Twenty-two years? Is it really that long since we got Sky TV? I can remember the first time I ever saw Sky TV. It was at Chris's house and I was absolutely amazed that it had the same adverts as ITV and Channel Four.
 
With work done I came home and refereed the dogs. With Treacle on one side of me and the puppies on the other I formally declared myself to be a demilitarized zone, but they weren’t having it and insisted on fighting a pitched battle in my lap.
I wish they wouldn’t do that.
 
Meanwhile the Lego Advent Calendar has kicked off… I’m toying with the idea of having a plot this year. I just need to get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment