12 December 2022 (Monday - Snowmaggeddon

When I went to my pit last night I could hear the rain outside, So I’d confidently expected the rain to have washed all the snow away by the morning. How wrong I was; I came down and took the puppies out into half an inch of snow. Amazingly for once Morgan marched right down the garden through the snow to bail out rather than peeing by the doorstep.
I dumped two rather damp puppies on top of a sleeping “er indoors TM, made toast and had a little look on-line. I was probably up too early for anything interesting on-line. Those people who were up were either asking about the state of the roads, or telling everyone they weren’t too bad. I thought about “pulling a snow day” but decided better of that.
With pretty much nothing happening on-line I had a little look at the SmartMeter. Each month I’m paying (near enough) two hundred quid a month for gas and leccie. That pays for (about) six pounds fifty pence worth a day. Over the last week we’ve been averaging eight quid a day, and over the weekend when we had the heating on continually we got through fourteen quid’s’ worth each day. Up to this morning we’d shifted half the monthly budget (a hundred quid’s worth) in a third of the month (eleven days). Time to economise possibly? Mind you when you feature in the government’s sixty quid bung each month, come the New Year we’ll only be forty quid over budget for the month.
 
When the puppies had tiddled this morning I’d dug the long-handled snow scraper out of the shed, so I got dressed and made a start about half an hour earlier than I usually do. It didn't take *that* long to scrape the snow from the car, and I set off through the slush. The pavements were very icy but the roads round Ashford were quite passable. Mind you it was cold and the car did wobble on ice a few times. And there were several idiots out on pedal bikes too.
The motorway was clear, but when I came off the motorway it was obvious that Maidstone had had more snow than Ashford. I had one or two issues on the road getting from the motorway to work. The problem was with abandoned cars. Probably a dozen drivers last night had decided that the conditions were too bad for them and had abandoned their cars. But that wasn't "abandoned at the roadside", that was "got out and left them where they were". And so this morning I and all the other drivers were slaloming round cars which had been just randomly left in the middle of the road. It has to be said that the country goes to pieces when it snows, but we in the UK get pretty much no snow at all compared to some places. Other places that are under feet of snow for months at a time are geared up for it. Here in the UK we aren't.
 
Much of the talk on this morning's radio talk was about four children who'd fallen through ice whilst playing on a frozen pond. I suppose this is another example of where we in the UK aren't used to these conditions?
There was also talk about the government's COBRA committee meeting today to try to minimise chaos caused by the upcoming strikes. I can't help but think that the strikes will be an example of the old adage "a creaking gate gets oiled"; those that go on strike will get some of what they are asking for... and those of us that don't will get nothing at all. Again.
There was also an interview with one of the head honchos of the UK pharmacy industry who was complaining that UK pharmacies are struggling to get prescription medicines for less than the price of a prescription and so are losing money every time someone comes from the GP with a prescription.
 
I got to the works car park at about the usual time I would on an early shift; I was right to have left home early. There was about three to four inches of snow in the works car park. I trudged into work and got on with the day. Today I had a rather odd version of the song "Frosty The Snowman" stuck in my head. Many years ago four of us used to walk to school together. One of our number would always sing loudly on the way. His winter song had one verse repeated ad nauseum:
"Frosty the Snowman
Lost his left ball in a fight
Then by a strange co-incidence
The same happened to the right"
Hearing this song every winter’s day for several years whilst plodding through three miles of ice-cold snow meant that song used to get rather tedious.
By another strange co-incidence the song's author is now living in Sweden.
Of the other two who used to walk with us, one is now a minister in the Baptist church in west country, and the other is now a multi-millionaire. It just goes to show, doesn't it?
 
As I worked I watched the snow melting on the trees outside the window. By home time much of it had gone, and we had gone past the “pretty” stage of snow which lasts for about an hour and were (and are) into the “frankly dangerous” stage of having ice everywhere for about a week. Having nearly gone arse over tit on the ice on my way to my car as I walked out of work I thought better about my planned Sainsbury’s mission and came straight home.
 
I wrote up a little CPD, had a look at my advent calendar, then together with “er indoors TM cleared up a rather impressive bout of dog dire rear. Have I even mentioned what foul creatures dogs are?
“er indoors TM went bowling, and as the dogs all slept I slobbed in front of the telly until I found myself falling asleep.
An early night wouldn’t hurt…

No comments:

Post a Comment