13 December 2022 (Tuesday) - Lego Club

Every night before I go to kip I make a point of checking that my phone's connection to the Internet is switched off so that the thing doesn't keep waking me up with alerts about the most trivial drivel. And every so often it turns itself back on (like it did last night) and keeps waking me up with alerts about the most trivial drivel. I turned it off again; it turned itself on again...

I gave up, got up and took the dogs outside. They did what was expected of them, and then as they harassed “er indoors TM  I made toast and watched another episode of "Stranger Things". The show started well, but as I'm coming to the end of the fourth series, watching it is becoming a chore. But having watched it so far, I'm hoping it will pick up before the end.

I had a little look at the Internet. I sent out a couple of birthday wishes, and saw that the argument about taking dogs out in the snow was still raging on several Facebook pages. If people don't want to take a dog for a walk, why don't they just say "I can't be arsed" rather than trying to concoct some hare-brained bollox which doesn't stand up to any reasoned argument?

 

I scraped thick ice from the car's windows and set off to work. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the upcoming rail strikes. There was an interview with Mick Lynch who is the head honcho of one of the rail unions. Having been asked a question by the interviewer and then been interrupted before he could say more than a dozen words (several times), he told the interviewer to shut up and listen (which needed to be said). In some ways the chap made valid points, in other ways he didn't. I did wonder about his refusal to even discuss the possibility of driver-only trains. When I was a lad buses had a driver and a conductor... conductors have been gone for forty years. Time for the trains to join the twenty-first century perhaps? But as I said yesterday about the unions, a creaking gate gets oiled.

Well... it will get oiled this time. There was also talk about newly-retired people flooding back into work as they find they can't afford retirement. I wonder if the unionised railway workers will soon find themselves competing with those who just want to top up a pension rather than get a full-time wage?

I then listened to "Thought For The Day" in utter disbelief whilst some pompous windbag just gibbered utterly unrelated sentences whilst making no attempt to be coherent in any way at all.

 

I got to junction five of the motorway, and joined the queue. The traffic was nose-to-tail heading towards the hospital, so I took a circuitous diversion. Going the long way might have been a bit further, but the traffic was flowing. The cars which had been abandoned up Hermitage Lane were still causing a serious obstruction.

It only took an hour and a half to get to work this morning.

 

Work was work... we had a "Red Alert" during the morning. How many people do you know (other than the cast of "Star Trek") who regularly have "Red Alerts"  as part of their working day?

 

I was rather pleased to see that the snow had pretty much gone from the motorway as I finished, and took the opportunity to test out (play with) the cruise control. It seems to work just as the instruction manual says in all but one way: no icon appears on the dashboard. I shall continue to fiddle with it, and if all else fails I shall ask the nice man in the garage.

Rather than coming home I carried on down the motorway to Hythe and the Lego Club. We had a few more bigguns along this time, and this evening we randomly made whatever we fancied whilst chatting about all things Lego. It’s a simple little evening, but one I enjoy.

I shall get a slightly bigger box of random Lego for next time.

 

When I got home the dogs were all “doing their thing” in the garden. I opened the door and called them. On hearing my voice they all sprinted into the house, ran straight past me, and spent quite some time searching the living room looking for me… Eventually they found me. Standing by the door where they’d just run past. Silly pups.

“er indoors TM boiled up sausages and chips as a rather later dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the “Shaun the Sheep” Christmas special. I think it’s fair to say that no one enjoyed it more than Bailey. The little dog was fascinated by it. She seems to enjoy watching the telly…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment