14 December 2022 (Wednesday) - Hunter's Chicken

The puppies are really getting the hang of the early morning tiddle. Later in the day things can be a tad hit-and-miss (figuratively and literally), but first thing in the morning is when they've got it nailed.
They went off to bother “er indoors TM; I loaded the dishwasher with all the stuff I'd left laying about over the last day or so, then made toast. I watched half an episode of "Stranger Things" then set off to work.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the poor people of the Shetland Islands who have lost power because of the snows. There was an interview with one of the local councillors who was talking about how the average Shetland Islanders are prepared for this sort of thing, and about how over a hundred engineers have just arrived on the islands to sort out the problems. Personally I can't help but think that if you live in the back of beyond then you really should be prepared to be cut off from civilisation at the drop of a hat (or the drop of several feet of snow), and I can't help but wonder who (if anyone) is subsidising the one hundred and more engineers who have just turned up there.
There was also a lot of talk about inflation and whether or not it is fair to expect public sector workers to accept a piss-poor pay rise... interestingly taking a diametrically opposed line to the one they took yesterday morning when talking about the train strikes.
Interestingly no one wanted to give more than passing mention to yesterday's announcement about a nuclear fusion reaction which for the first time ever generated more energy than had been put into it. Something with massive ramifications for the entire future of humanity was treated as a bit of a joke whilst trivia which will be forgotten tomorrow was blown out of all proportion.
A classic example of this then followed when there was a ten-minute  diatribe about which team the UK population should be cheering on in tonight’s football match between France and Morocco based on which team had beaten the UK team most recently and most often, and which team was most likely to win.
 
Work was work. I did my bit teaching a trainee the mysteries of the microscopic world today. I quite enjoyed it. And with work worked I popped to Sainsbury’s to get some fizz for Chrimbo. There was a minor episode at the till when I paid for my own shopping myself rather than letting some ill-behaved brat do it for me. Perhaps I was being over-cautious, but the rather iffy-looking parent didn’t look above doing a runner with said brat had I let it brandish my card at the machine.
 
I came home down what passes for a motorway these days. According to the news “Operation Brock” was re-instigated today. In reality “Operation Brock  has never gone away. All that happened today was that the traffic was diverted down the contraflow bit of the M20 rather than the coned off section of the eastbound carriageway.
Lugging the shopping into the house took some doing. Sixteen litres of fizz is heavy stuff. I told the world about today’s instalment of my Lego Advent Calendar and then “er indoors TM boiled up some dinner. Hunter’s chicken and a bottle of hock… not too shabby at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment