23 December 2022 (Friday) - Late Shift (Really?)

I woke in the small hours and had a fight with Treacle in which I tried to get some bed space. After a protracted battle I got an extra six inches, but struggled to get back to sleep after that, I eventually dozed off, but was woken by the bin men “quietly” coming up the road just before six o’clock.
Determined not to get up I stayed in my pit but gave up when “er indoors TM ‘s alarm went off.
 
I opened the door to take the puppies out only to find it was pouring hard. So much for my plans for the morning, eh? So I made toast and had a look at the Internet. Someone with whom I work had signed up to be an organ donor, so I’ve done the same. You can do so by clicking here. But don’t tell “My Boy TM”; he still thinks I’m about to croak from when I started to make a list of what he needs to know for what I do croak.
Other than that, not a lot was happening on social media. I considered braving the elements with the dogs, but with the rain hammering against the window I thought better of it. The dogs were asleep on the sofa, so instead I sparked up the telly, and watched a film on Netflix until it was time to go to work. It was rather good.
 
I popped up the road to the corner shop to get a sandwich only to find they didn't have any. They were waiting for their delivery. Their driver was leaving it rather late.
So I went to the co-op instead. I must admit I don't like going to the co-op as it does attract "a certain sort". There were a family of those in the queue in front of me. Once they'd paid they deliberately waited for me to go to the till,  and I rather offended mother by not letting her grubby child maul my sandwich. Having watched it pick up and crush pretty much everything else in the shop I wasn't going to let it destroy my dinner. I didn't say anything; just picked up my stuff from the counter as the brat reached for it, and gave the brat a glare. Mother wasn't at all happy and marched the brat out of the shop loudly muttering about "some people...".
The woman behind  the till smiled at me, and said that family regularly come in purely so that the brat can rub its sticky grubby hands over everything it can touch.
You would have thought that the shop staff would have said something, wouldn't you?
 
As I drove up the motorway so the sun came out. A shame it couldn't have done that a couple of hours earlier. I fiddled and played with the cruise control on my car as I went. Having read the manual and asked on various on-line forums there seems to be an issue with the car’s cruise control in that the cruise control display doesn't seem to work.  The cruise control bit works fine. But the gauges and dials don't. I shall ask the nice man in the garage.
I got to work in record time. Having been told (by Google Maps) that there were major hold-ups on the motorway I used the sat-nav. That took me straight up the motorway where there was not a hold-up in sight.
 
I scoffed my (non-mauled) sandwich and got on with what was effectively a routine day's work.…. As I did my bit I found myself thinking of the first time I worked the “last working day before the Christmas break”. It was Thursday 24th December 1981. We all came in to work and did the morning set-up on the blood testing analysers and then tested half a dozen samples. Back then at Christmas hospitals pretty much emptied of all but the most extreme cases, and most GPs had shut up shop.
Forty-one years ago the day’s work was done by at half past eleven. The boss then sent us down the pub; she would cover whilst we were gone. We went down the pub and drank ourselves silly, staggering back shortly before three o’clock. We found the one who was doing the night shift (on call as it was back then) in residence, having sent the boss home an hour previously. We then sat around and drank whisky until it was all gone, then staggered off to find a bus home.
Forty-one years later, today was just the same as any other working day.

No comments:

Post a Comment