15 December 2022 (Thursday) - New Mattress (Eventually!)

I was rather sad when I got up this morning. Last night was the last night on the old mattress. Personally I was quite happy with the thing but “er indoors TM has various aches and pains which she’s attributed to it, and so it is history.

 

Needing an early start “er indoors TM got up and saw to the puppies. She doesn’t go out into the garden with them though; she trusts them to do that which is expected of them I expect Bailey to do what is expected of her, and I expect Morgan to do what is expected of him – but in his case on the floor of the back bedroom. I take no chances.

I gave her ten minutes then came down and as she did her thing I made toast and had a look at the Internet. It was still there.

 

“er indoors TMset off. Today was her works beano; the idea was that she and her gang would fart around the office for an hour or so then all get chauffeured to Birmingham for an epic booze-up. With her away someone needed to be on dog duty…

The plan for the day was that Iwould wait about until the new mattress arrived, then take the dogs to the woods. It was such a good plan.

 

When we ordered the mattress (a month ago) the arrangement was that they would contact me two days before delivery to say whether it would be a morning or afternoon slot. Having heard nothing by yesterday I phoned them and after they assured me they had sent text messages (to the right number!) they told me the thing would be delivered some time during the mid-morning. Ten o’clock was actually specified. So… I had time to get the ironing done before the mattress arrived.

I put “Stranger Things” on the telly and started ironing. And with the ironing ironed I put away the ironing board and carried on watching “Stranger Things”. It has to be said that if I didn’t have to stay put I would have turned it off and given up with it. The last episode played for two and a half hours and was tedious in the extreme.

At mid-day I phoned the bed company to see where the mattress had got to. “Karen” said it wouldn’t be long, and oh-so-politely suggested I might shut my rattle as the so-called “delivery slots” were at best a guess and the thing might be delivered at any time at all during the day. I explained that this was not what I’d paid for, and had I known this would be the case, I would have gone with any number of other companies who could give a delivery time. She then tried to claim I did know this. She added that she’d checked the itinerary and judging by the deliveries that had been made he would definitely be with me by one o’clock.

 

At half past one my phone rang. It was the delivery driver who said he would be with me about three o’clock because he was stuck in traffic at Ashford’s outlet centre. I told him that if he was to stick his head out of his lorry and shout I would hear him because Ashford’s outlet centre is that close to my house.

He then claimed to have several other deliveries to do first which were between Ashford’s outlet centre and my house. I asked if they were in Beaver Road. He said not. I explained that in that case there were no other roads with houses on them between where he was and my house, and he could come to me straight away.

I then phoned the bed shop (which is a two-minute walk from home) to complain, and they told me my earlier complaints were on record, and that the driver had just left them.

He arrived with the mattress an hour later at half past two with all sorts of excuses about backlogs because of the snow. I suggested that if he knew he was running late then he should have rung me as (unlike his head office) he demonstrably had my phone number.  From the look on his face it was clear this had never occurred to him.

 

By the time I’d made the bed it was already getting noticeably dark outside. We had a quick walk round the block then I settled down with the dogs and we watched the film “People Just Do Nothing: Big in Japan”. I’ve been wanting to see this film for some time, and now I’ve got Sky Cinema I could. It was very much in keeping with the series it followed, and wasn’t too shabby at all.

With film watched and dogs still snoring I sparked up the Paramount app on my Sky-Q box (now I’ve got Sky Cinema I could) and watched the first few episodes of “Star Trek: Prodigy” which wasn’t too bad at all. Certainly streets ahead of “Stranger Things”.

When the dogs get up I will sort their dinners… but for the time being I am letting sleeping dogs lie. They’ve slept quite a lot today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment