30 May 2020 (Saturday) - Early Shift


I slept rather well, but woke feeling like death warmed up. I got up feeling rather grotty, and wasn’t helped by the smell of the somewhat rancid milk that I nearly poured onto a bowl of granola.
I made some toast instead, and watched an episode of “Schitt’s Creek” then peered into the Internet to see if much had changed since last night. "er indoors TM"’s fundraiser for the goat sanctuary had raised over fifty quid overnight (which was a result for the goats), but other than that I hadn’t missed much. I sent out birthday wishes, then pausing only briefly to capture a nymph and a mermaid in the tree house and a flying horse and a Puffle in the Skyland (it’s a Munzee thing) I got ready for work.

As I drove off to work the pundits on the radio were interviewing some farmer who had the arse about how a very wet winter and a very dry spring had played havoc with his ability to plant anything. Whilst I sympathised for the fellow, I got the distinct impression that he was looking for someone to blame for the weather. I also got the distinct impression (that for some inexplicable reason) that person was me.
What was that all about?
There was also talk of how some vegetarian crackpot was claiming that the recent pandemic was just peanuts compared to what will happen if we all carry on eating chickens. He might have a point; he might not. Personally I'd rather eat a chicken than a lettuce.

I got to work; I did my bit. And with a few minutes spare I wrote up a little CPD.
Having woken up feeling rough I didn’t get much better as the day wore on and came home feeling decidedly iffy. I spent an hour or so sitting quietly working on solving some geo-puzzles that had gone live during the week. I solved some; others foxed me.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a good bit of dinner, then we tuned in to the Saturday Zoom quiz. This week we had multiple choices for each question. I knew what a gharial was anyway, but we chuckled about nuns chasing llamas, but alcarraza, barchan, carcajou, demiurge, elision, felucca, hafiz and impasto could have been anything on the “Call My Bluff” round.
Usually we would have stayed chatting, but we said our goodbyes and turned the telly to the BBC news channel and watched the launch of the SpaceX taking astronauts up to the International Space Station. The first time that people have been taken to orbit by a private company…
It’s amazing… and quite possibly it could be the worst thing that will ever happen to humanity as the keys to the universe are handed to rich individuals.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment