20 February 2017 (Monday) - A Day Off

I had a bit of a lie-in today. But only a bit of one. I was up shortly after 7am and once ablated and breakfasted I got the dogs breakfasted and we set off.
I had a day’s leave today because my car was booked for its MOT and service today so we drove out to the garage and left the car there. We walked through Newtown where we met up with "Daddy’s Little Angel TM", Sid and Pogo, and we went for a little walk. We wandered all around South Willesborough; finally ending up at McDonalds of all places (would you believe it?). The humans had a cup of coffee each, and some of a sausage and egg McMuffin. But only some of it; dogs like sausage and egg McMuffins.
We’d vaguely hoped the car wouldn’t have been long in the garage so we’d stayed in its general vicinity hoping to pick it up, but there is only so long that you can loiter, so we eventually went home. As I came past Asda I made a quick geo-find -  a geocache had appeared there a couple of weeks ago, and I’d not had chance to go look for it until today. I soon find it and did the secret geo-rituals.

Once home Treacle had a quick bath; she’d got very muddy playing with Pogo whilst we’d been out. I then settled the dogs and walked into town. "er indoors TM" wanted some money bags and I had a cheque to pay into the bank. Whilst in town I popped into the mobile phone shop; apparently I get 500Mb of data every month that can be used overseas. That will come in handy for my upcoming trip to Bruges.
I then made my way home past the Chill Time milk shake shop.  In a novel break with tradition they were open (they are usually closed whenever I pass), and I got myself a Battenberg milk shake. Very nice.

I came home again; I had hoped the garage would have phoned whilst we were out, but they didn’t. I was piddling about waiting for the garage to ring when "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" phoned in high dudgeon. She’d applied for a job as a recruitment administrator. The company had emailed her wanting to know specific details of her childcare arrangements. I thought that employers weren’t allowed to ask that sort of thing. I know I wasn’t when (in a previous life) I used to interview potential recruits.

I put on a “You Rang M’Lord” DVD and slept through it until the garage rang to say the car was ready. I thought about getting a taxi, but by the time I’d waited for a taxi it would have been quicker (and cheaper) to walk the two miles to collect my car. So I walked.
My car had passed its MOT, but by the time they’d MOT-ed, replaced a couple of bulbs, re-gassed the air-con and done a service the bill was a little more than I’d been expecting. I was naively hoping to pay just under a hundred and fifty quid; it came out at two hundred and forty quid. And to add insult to injury they reminded me that in eighteen months’ times I shall need to replace the cam belt (about five hundred quid).

As I drove home I got a message. Pogo has been limping ever since our morning walk. I felt guilty – I’d trodden on one of his front paws when he ran underneath me earlier. But he was having problems with his back paw. I was off the hook.
I had a shower, and then video-ed the aftermath. *Every* time I have a shower Treacle has to lick my head like a lollipop. Once she’s done that she falls asleep behind my head and snores. She makes for a comfortable pillow, albeit a noisy one.

With "er indoors TM" off to the bowling beano I was left “home alone” for the evening so I watched a DVD I’d bought whilst in town earlier. ID2 was very good (if you like that sort of thing). I will need to watch it again at some point when the dogs aren’t making such a noise…

No comments:

Post a Comment