15 February 2017 (Wednesday) - Out For Dinner



I slept reasonably well; I would have slept better had I got up and had a tiddle at 2am rather than laying in pain. I do that so often.
Over brekkie I watched an episode of “Dad’s Army” whilst the washing machine set about some jumpers, then I checked out the Internet. Not much had changed overnight, and I’d had no emails at all. I hung out the jumpers and set off to work.

As I drove to work I listened to the radio (as always). Amazing as it may seem, the theory that Donald Trump is a Russian agent seems to be gathering credence. I can’t pretend to be an expert on the matter and I’m sure he’s getting a very bad press, but the bloke does come over as a bit of a twit.
A Russian agent? Time will tell…

Once at work I had a rather busy day, but nowhere near as fraught as "er indoors TM" and "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" who were in Hastings following yesterday’s family bereavement.
Once home we walked the dogs, then we went out for a meal with "My Boy TM". We went to the Harvester; I’ve walked past the place so many times over the years but had never been there before. It was rather good. Might just go back again…

I’ve spent quite a bit of time today thinking about my father-in-law’s death yesterday evening. When I first met him in 1982 he was active and full of life; there is no denying he liked a drink from time to time. But over the years he slowed down; so much so that for the last ten years or so he was always in “his” chair when we went to visit. His health hasn’t been at all good for years following all sorts of scares.
We went to see him when he was in hospital on 8 January. At the time he was chirpy enough, but was clearly struggling for breath. Over the last few weeks he’d got worse and worse. There is no cure for pulmonary fibrosis and his time was up. The last few days were terrible for him and all those around him.
There are those who are against euthanasia. I can’t say I’m without reservation on the matter. A blanket policy of putting them all down once they hit retirement (a la “Logan’s Run”) is clearly wrong. And there are loads of people who have been written off by the medical profession who then go on to live for years (I know one such person).
But some people are clearly terminal and want the pain to stop, and forcing them to suffer is just wrong.
Let me be crystal clear - if I end up like Frank, I want the plug to be pulled.

No comments:

Post a Comment