1 February 2017 (Wednesday) - A Reunion



For the first time in seemingly ages the puppy was quiet and slept all night. Instead my phone kept me awake. I have the thing close by as I use its alarm, but despite the wifi, mobile data and Bluetooth all being turned off somehow it was beeping about notifications of emails and Facebook messages all night long.

I came downstairs a few minutes before the alarm was due to go off to find "Furry Face TM" had spent the night in his basket. He seemed very tired, and he didn’t stir once as I watched “The Darling Buds of May”. I worry about that dog; perhaps too much. I wonder why he was so subdued; perhaps the puppy keeps him awake too and he also just needed a good night’s sleep.

I had a quick look-see on-line. Very little had really happened on Facebook overnight, but I had an email from PayPal. They are changing their terms and conditions and are legally obliged to tell me so. I read what they sent; I did admire their cheek. “You do not need to do anything to accept the changes as they will automatically come into effect on the Effective Dates shown below. Should you decide you do not wish to accept them you can notify us before the above date to close your account”. Basically the gist is that they are unilaterally deciding to do whatever the hell they like, and if we don’t like it we can get knotted. I must admit I respect anyone who takes that stance. I might not like it, but I respect it.

And so to work. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how Parliament is wasting time debating whether or not to actually allow the Prime Minister to formally start the Brexit talks. Whilst it may well be a legal requirement for Parliament to have to give permission, does it really have to take up more than five minutes. The decision has been made; all the nastiness was done and dusted six months ago. Why drag it all up again?
There was also talk of how scientists have managed to communicate (with seventy per cent success) with patients in long-term vegetative states. One chap even managed to convey his displeasure at his daughter’s choice of boyfriend.
If ever I end up in a long-term vegetative state let’s not mess about with science. If it happens to me and it looks like being permanent, I want the plug pulling.

Just as I got to work my phone pinged. An email. On Monday I’d hidden a geocache at the base of a tree. The geo-feds had given it the big thumbs-down. There is the final stage of a puzzle cache too close nearby. But I was tol which puzzle was in the way do I shall have a go at solving it later.

I went in to work where I met a friend. A chap who I trained seven years ago is now a colleague again. It is a small old world in my business…

No comments:

Post a Comment