10 December 2016 (Saturday) - Christmas Bash




I was a bit happier on the night shift than I had been for some time; the last night shift of the year, and the shift pattern means the Friday night shift is a single night shift. Doing two on the trot is a tad hard. (I'm told I might be able to do single nights at Maidstone)
As I worked the radio spewed all sorts of drivel. Pompous windbags pontificated on "Any Questions", there was a discussion on the mathematics of the infinite, a biography on the Hollywood star Cary Grant and of the singer Bob Dylan, a dramatization of "Raffles the Gentleman Thief".... it helped to pass the time.
In between working I was straining my brain on a geo-puzzle. it had gone live yesterday morning. I *think* it is (sort of) on my way home but I couldn't solve it. I saw that a geo-friend had got the answer – I shall harangue him tomorrow.

I came home to find just the dogs in residence; "er indoors TM" had taken "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" out for a little excursion. So I put the leads onto the dogs and we walked up to the wetlands park and back. The puppy was better on today’s walk; she seems to find the whole thing rather nerve-wracking and spends much of the time sticking to the side of "Furry Face TM", but today was a vast improvement on yesterday.
Mind you the whole idea of a dog walk is that it is something the dogs want to do. Whilst "Furry Face TM" loves his walks, "Furry Shark TM" doesn’t. Yet.

We came home, I went to bed for the morning. I woke just as "er indoors TM" arrived home. Cheese on toast made for a good lunch, and we had something of a lazy afternoon. I played a few on-line games, did a little work-blogging, dozed a bit. I had a little look at my geo-website. It was a little project that seemed like a good idea at the time; it is still very much a work in progress.
As I fiddled about so next door started hammering her piano. Usually I tune it out but this afternoon it bugged me. Their piano first arrived over fifteen years ago. The woman next door was (to be honest) shit at playing the piano then, and in the intervening years she has made absolutely no progress with the thing at all. Every afternoon she plays the same scales, and every afternoon it sounds like my two-year-old grandson is clobbering the piano’s keys with a mallet.

"er indoors TM" went shopping, and within five minutes the doorbell rang; Lisa was here. Unable to get a taxi she’s come for a lift home. She’d been to the charity day round at the Riverside Inn. I *knew* there was something I’d forgotten today. "Furry Shark TM" bit her for a while then we took "Furry Face TM" to visit Earle. A mistake – I’d forgotten how much the degus wind my dog up. I came home far earlier than I would have liked; but I couldn’t stay – my dog’s heart was pounding with the stress of wanting to get at Lisa’s little furry pets.

I sat for a while watching old music videos on YouTube (with sleeping dogs either side of me) until "er indoors TM" came home. Jose and Maria soon arrived and drove us round to Heather and Andy’s for the evening. We had a really good time; wonderful food, a few beers, chatting and putting the world to rights.
We really must do that more often….

No comments:

Post a Comment