6 October 2022 (Thursday) - Rostered Day Off

 
I took the dogs to Kings Wood again this morning. As we drove there was an article on the radio about the Knights Templar. I’ve heard so many talks and lectures on the subject, and every time the person speaking takes an interesting subject and kills it stone dead. After five minutes I turned the radio off.
 
We got to the woods and did the same walk we’ve done on the last two days. A good walk. Treacle ran into the woods and played with the puppies today which was a result; the last two times we’ve been there she barely left my side.
We chased squirrels and pheasants. We barked at passers-by. We ate horse poo. Some passing dogs played with us; others were leaded up and dragged away. I’ve often wondered why so many people put a dog on a short lead so far into the woods…
 
After an hour or so we were back where we started. We came home where I settled the dogs and then (as they snored) I drove up to the town where I used my RingGo app to park. I had a quick Munz, then had a rather frustrating hour.
Firstly in the post office where I queued for seemingly ages where only one of four windows were open.
And then in the bank where they (the only chap in there) flatly refused to honour a cheque made payable to dad’s estate. Mind you, have you been into the Ashford branch of HSBC recently? It’s all automated. And I mean *all*. Everything is self-service machines and there is one poor chap running round like a headless chicken trying to deal with all the issues that can’t be sorted by the automation.
I came home and phoned the bank. When I spoke to them last week they told me they *would* honour a cheque make payable to “The Executor of,,,”, but today they were telling a different story. Since my name isn’t “The Executor of…” I can’t have any cheques made payable to that. I wonder how other executors cope?
Once all of Dad’s estate is settled and sorted I’m going to change my bank. I’ve not been happy with them for years. When you phone them you just get someone who can barely speak English who is reading from a script. Up till now I’ve always contented myself with the knowledge that if the worst comes to the worst I can go to the local branch. Clearly that’s no longer an option.
 
I phoned the TV licencing people – the cheque I’m having trouble with is the refund of Dad’s TV licence. They were really helpful and said if I could send it back to them, they would send out a cheque payable to me.
So I wrote a letter.
In fact I wrote two as Dad’s pension people have offered to pay a “bereavement grant” to go toward the cost of the funeral (even though Dad paid for it years ago). Two letters… how quaint. Who writes letters these days? Fortunately in the stuff I found in Dad’s living room (when we were clearing out) were two books of stamps…
Then the funeral director phoned. We were going to pop in with photos of Dad for the service sheets… I thought we’d dropped them off already. I emailed them some photos.
All trivia, but trivia which took over two hours to sort.
 
“er indoors TM  is boiling up some dinner. I think I might crack open that bottle of Hock I bought before Tuesday’s night shift. For a day off, today has been hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment