24 October 2022 (Monday) - Rostered Day Off

What with getting home late, kebabs and watching Doctor Who it was gone midnight before I got to bed last night. But I wanted to watch the Doctor Who episode before I looked at Facebook this morning and got told all about it by those who so loudly shout about not wanting spoilers (as has happened so many times in the past).
I made toast, wrote yesterday’s diary, then had a look at Facebook to see that I was right to have watched Doctor Who last night. Had I not done so, after reading the Internet this morning I wouldn’t have needed to.
 
I then had a decision to make. When would we go for our walk? I looked at the weather forecast and rolled my eyes. At nine o’clock there was a seventeen per cent chance of rain, and the forecast icon had a raindrop on it. However if I waited until early afternoon the weather icon didn’t have a raindrop. But it did have a twenty-four per cent chance of rain.
How did that work?
I decided to go with numbers rather than pictures…
 
As we drove up to Kings Wood the pundits on the radio were banging on about the upcoming race for the leadership of the Conservative party. Rishi Sunak was the obvious candidate; several people were saying that he’d been the obvious candidate all along and it was hinted that the only reason that Liz Truss beat him was that the rank-and-file Conservative party voters voted on racial grounds. Did they? Whilst that is wrong, it is the sort of thing that sadly still happens. It was mentioned that last week there had talk on the radio of him being the first Prime Minister “of colour”, and the BBC had then received endless complaints claiming that Disraeli had actually been the first Prime Minister “of colour” because he was Jewish. Perhaps working where I do with people from all around the world of all shapes and colours and creeds has rather shaped my world view, but why do so many people still make such a fuss about anyone else who is in any way different to themselves?
We got to the woods and did our usual circuit. A walk of about four miles (must take “Hannah” next time and measure the distance!) took us an hour and a quarter. As we walked we only met three other people (and their dogs). I’d go there all the time for walks if getting there was easier, but the drive to Orlestone Woods takes less than half the time.
 
We got home just as the rain started. I popped up the shop to get a sandwich for later, then cracked on with the ironing. It only took two and a half hours to do. Whilst I ironed like a thing possessed I watched all four episodes of “Living Universe” on the “Yesterday” channel. It wasn’t a bad show, but took over three hours to sum up what could have been done in fifteen minutes… much like telly in general really, I suppose.
I then had a look at my accounts. Not too shabby; they could be a whole lot worse. But I found that I needed to speak to the bank about one trivial matter. From my previous experience with them I know that the one chap in the local branch is too busy to spend any time with me, so I phoned the bank and after forty-five minutes got through to someone who suggested I had a look at their website and sort it all out myself. When I suggested that I wanted help and advice he became rather rude, finally asking what I expected him to do. I said he might arrange for a senior manager to phone me and assure me that they want my custom. Needless to say, no one phoned.
More and more everything with the bank is self-service these days, Are all banks like this? I’ve been with the current lot for over thirty years but I think I’m reaching the point where I’ve had enough of them. Can any of my loyal readers recommend a bank that isn’t entirely rubbish?
 
“er indoors TM sorted out a rather good pizza dinner which we scoffed whilst watching more “Lego Masters: Australia”.
A walk, ironing, accounts, telly… Not a bad day, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment