7 October 2022 (Friday) - Pre-Work Road Trip

I woke this morning feeling like death warmed up. What was that all about? I made toast and had a look-see at the Internet. It hadn’t gone anywhere and hadn’t changed. Trivia and squabbles abounded; there was one interesting argument on one of the dachshund Facebook groups in which a person had posted a video of her dog supposedly having some sort of fit. She wanted to know if anyone else’s dog had had a similar fit… All of my dogs do what her dog had been doing; her dog was clearly dreaming. But there were those who couldn’t cope with the concept of a dog having a dream… I didn’t get involved. But I did get involved in the puppies’ argument. With dozens of toys, they both wanted to play with the same one. The toy in question being whichever toy the other one had. Sometimes they can be rather quarrelsome…

Pausing only briefly to collect a carrier bag of old newspapers from Paul (always useful!) I set off on a little road trip. As I drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing the leader of the Scottish Nationalists Nicola Sturgeon. Despite having had their arse quite comprehensively handed to them on a plate in the independence referendum of eight years ago, they won't take "you lost" for an answer and were again trying to get another referendum. If the government won't allow it, Ms Sturgeon was expounding a frankly ridiculous suggestion in which the next general election would double up as an independence referendum. If the Scottish Nationalists won in Scotland, then that should be taken as a result of an independence referendum in favour of their leaving.
This was followed by "Desert Island Discs" which featured some doctor who started a charity by which doctors in war zones could phone medics in safe zones to ask for second opinions.
Sadly this chap had a diabolical taste in music. People on that show usually do.,
 
I stopped off at the Rolvenden pond shop for a bell fountain attachment. I also stopped about a dozen times because of endless road works. I say "road works"; perhaps a third of the coned off and traffic light controlled areas actually had people working. Most were just sections of the road which had been coned off for no discernible reason.
But it wasn't that long before I was at my brother's house, and from there a short hop to the East Hastings Angling Society's club house. We met a few people to finalise arrangements for next week's funeral, and then it was on to "Road Trip Part II" from Hastings to work.
 
There were just as many road works between Hastings and Maidstone as there were between Ashford and Hastings. And just as few people actually working in them. I was rather knackered by the time I got to work, which seems to be a theme of late shifts.
Perhaps I shouldn't do quite so much before them?

No comments:

Post a Comment