21 October 2022 (Friday) - Bit Tired

As I drove home from a particularly busy night shift the pundits on the radio were all a-twitter about the Prime Minister’s announcement that she’s resigned. Which was probably for the best; she was a bit on the crap side, wasn’t she?
Amazingly there are calls for that idiot Boris Johnson to come back; it was claimed that over a hundred Conservative MPs want his return. Being a showman, the (equally idiot) general public love him, and seem to be quite prepared to ignore that he acted illegally in forcing his Brexit plans through. Or he lied so much about so many things that if you type “Boris Johnson’s lies” into Google, the first website you get is actually boris-johnson-lies.com. Or that he staged piss-ups for his mates in Downing Street during the pandemic whilst everyone else was forced to live in isolation. It is widely felt that the charm of this incompetent liar is enough to overturn the Labour party’s thirty-six point lead in the opinion polls.
Democracy… it presupposes those casting votes are competent to do so.
There was then an interview with Ben Elton who is fronting the one-off return of Friday Night Live. I’m afraid I wasn’t impressed. I once saw Ben Elton live at the Marlowe theatre in Canterbury where he was brilliant. This morning he was nowhere near as good; trying to give some scholarly explanation of his brand of comedy was very much on the dull side.
 
I got home and went to bed where I slept for a couple of hours until the bashing of not-so-nice-next-door’s double glazing replacement woke me.
As “er indoors TM took the dogs for a walk I had a look at what the postie had left me.
HM Revenue and Customs had written to tell me that Dad had overpaid his income tax and would be sending me a refund. Presumably the refund I paid into the bank yesterday?
I had a letter from a solicitor; it turned that the bunch of scammers who phoned me yesterday about Dad’s gas bill were actually genuine. It seems British Gas farm out all their bereavement-related work to a subcontractor (can you believe it?).
And I had a bill for my car’s road tax. Twenty quid for the year. That’s not bad, is it?
 
“er indoors TM and the dogs returned. The dogs were worn out from their exertions, so we settled them and (on the spur of the moment) went out to the Beefeater at Hothfield for dinner. We’ve not been there for a while, but a starter of chicken wings, a rather good curry and a caramel apple Betty to end with… and change out of twelve quid (each). It was only a shame that the old biddies at the next table had to be trying to out-gross each other with their various medical problems, issues and ailments.
From there we had a look at bathroom shops. We’ve a vague plan to do the bathroom out in the near future but… Have you looked at new sinks recently? Pretty much all of them have one mixer tap in the middle *exactly* where I want to stick my head when having a shave. I want a sink with separate hot and cold taps off to the sides (as God intended). No one seems to make these any more.
 
Yesterday I mentioned a video game that “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TM had been playing. I found out what it was…  Human Fall Flat” is far more difficult than my grandson makes it seem; five minutes into the game and I’m stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment