4 October 2022 (Tuesday) - Before the Night Shift

I had something of a lie-in today. only until eight o’clock, but a lie-in nonetheless. I made toast and had a look at the Internet. There were plenty of memes knocking the government this morning; its handing (stuffing up) of the economy and its U-turns. I know I’ve had a go at them myself  recently, but most of those ripping the piss this morning are those who have never actually stood up to do anything themselves. Perhaps I should put my money where my mouth is?
There wasn’t much else going on in cyber-space so I stopped Bailey chewing a pair of rather sharp scissors (dogs can be a bit thick sometimes) and got dressed. Once dressed I found Bailey and Morgan both eating one of my socks.
 
I loaded the dogs into the car’s boot and we set off. As we headed to Challock I was listening to the pundits on the radio who were also ripping the piss out of the government. It has to be said that pretty much everyone felt that Boris Johnson had hit an all-time-low of political ability but Liz Truss seems to be astounding even Boris’s most vocal critics.
 
We drove up to Kings Wood for our walk. It is usually about this time every year that I abandon Orlestone for a place to walk. The woods there are pretty, it is (usually) idiot-free, but from this time of the year onwards it gets *very* muddy. Today we got to the car park in Kings Wood, walked for nearly two hours on gravel and didn’t get muddy at all. There are muddy parts of Kings Wood; I expect we will find most of them over the next few months. But the half-mile closest to the car park is usually mud free.
We had a good walk. As we went round we saw a couple of joggers who just nodded politely.
We saw one other dog who started barking, but it was the owner who over-reacted, not the dog. He got himself so worked up over his dog barking and wanting to say “hello”. We just walked past; I was all for saying “hello” but that might have wound him up even more.
We saw a father and small child who both seemed terrified of dogs, but were both very taken with Bailey; as father said, how can anyone be scared of a dog so small?
We met OrangeHead’s posse (minus Orangehead). Presumably they had left her in Viccie Park?
Surprisingly we saw three cars driving round the woods as we walked. Very occasionally we will see Forestry Commission vehicles… but three? That was a lot.
 
We came home and didn’t need a bath, which was a result. It wasn’t long before the dogs were all snoring. As they snored I wrote up some CPD. Dull, but I feel I should. Every couple of years all professional blood testers have to renew our professional registration and as part of that we have to confirm that we are keeping up to date in professional matters. The registration body checks up on one in twenty of us to make sure we are. If I’ve got my CPD blog up to date then I’ve got evidence…
 
I spent the afternoon in bed where I managed a couple of hours asleep, then sat on the sofa with the dogs (who were all still worn out from this morning) watching more episodes of “Better Than Us”. The series started well, was amusing for some of the iffy translations, but as it goes on I’m watching it with a sense of “WTF is going on”.
 
Hopefully “er indoors TM will be home to cook my dinner soon, and then I’m off to the night shift. Even though it is our wedding anniversary.
Looking at the diary I’ve done the night shift on four of our last six anniversaries…

No comments:

Post a Comment