22 September 2020 (Tuesday) - Another Early Shift

I really shouldn’t have done all that gardening yesterday; getting out of my pit this morning took some doing. I came downstairs and put away the washing up. The dishwasher died last night; the “on” switch has had it. (well, actually "er indoors TM" stoved it in, not that I’m assigning blame.) I’m wondering of the cost of parts and labour to get it fixed will be more than the cost of a whole new dishy. I’ve asked the Facebook group “Extreme Dishwasher Loading” for advice, but my hopes aren’t high.

I scoffed a bowl of granola whilst I watched more “Away” which was entertaining enough all the time I didn’t think about what was going on. I suppose the show was made for mass interest as opposed to those who’ve got the first idea about how science actually works.

 

I drove over to Singleton where I deployed another Munzee. Back in January I had this idea that I would get the Munz-badge for capping and deploying a Munzee every day for a year. This is now becoming rather tedious.

I drove up the motorway with no one trying to drive me off of it (for a change). As I drove the Minister for Talking Out Of His Arse was on the radio pontificating on what a load of rubbish science is. Back in April we all listened to the scientists. We all self-isolated (as far as we could) and we had a lock-down, and the incidence of COVID-19 dropped right off. But now we've stopped this silly lock-down the virus is coming back. So if it is coming back... what was the point of the lock-down earlier in the year he asked?  Mind you this chap acknowledged that it is easy to criticise, not so easy to come up with practical ideas, and he had a practical idea. He felt we should get the armed forces involved. He admitted they weren't expert virologists, but the Army is good at dealing with crises, he said. Perhaps the soldiers will shoot the virus?

(People voted for this idiot, you know but he made for entertaining listening)

 

There was also a lot of talk about how much people pay for insurance. Yesterday I was talking about this very thing. A friend of mine pays twice what I pay for car insurance. I get fully comprehensive insurance with breakdown cover and windscreen fixing. For double the price she gets third-party-fire-and-theft on a car which is four years older than mine. Yesterday I suggested she looked at getting a different insurer. This morning the pundits on the radio announced that insurance companies aren't going to be allowed to rip people off any more, but were rather vague on the specifics

 

I got to work and had a busy day. But an early start made for an early finish. I came home, loaded the dogs into the car and drove down to the woods. We had a good walk; we didn’t meet anyone else at all. The dogs had a good run and a good sniff. They chased squirrels, and we explored a new path which adds five minutes to our route.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a particularly good bit of dinner which we washed down with black lager and porter whilst watching the new series of “Bake Off”. I wondered how Matt Lucas would fare in the show; so far he’s doing OK… 

No comments:

Post a Comment