16 September 2020 (Wednesday) - Before the Night Shift

I slept like a log last night; I thought I wasn’t on top form yesterday. Having slept rather later than usual we skipped brekkie and took the dogs down to Orlestone for a walk round the woods. The walk went well – we only met one other person and that was when we were nearly back at the car. On seeing them I did the whistle thing and all three dogs immediately came to me. I was impressed.

As we drove home the ex-Minister for Health Jeremy Hunt was on the radio banging on about how the nation needs to quadruple its ability to test for the COVID-19 virus. Bearing in mind the ability of the average journalist to dig dirt it amazes me that no one has made the connection between the current woeful inadequacy of the nation’s medical microbiological  laboratories and the fact that Mr Hunt closed down loads of them during his tenure as Minister for Health.

 

Once home I popped to the corner shop for croissants and over a late brekkie peered into the Internet. Facebook was its usual self with the same half-dozen things being constantly re-posted, and the cowardly ranting at the world from the anonymity of their mum’s spare bedroom.

I then went into the garden to pootle.

First of all I harvested dog dung. Now we’ve four hounds crapping like things possessed there is a lot of dog dung to harvest. But it needs doing as the first lawn-related job, as anyone who has ever mowed a dog turd will affirm. I then strimmed the lawn’s edges. There was a minor hiccup when I found that the strimmer had actually fallen into two pieces since I last used it, but it was soon fixed. And with strimming strimmed I mowed the lawn.

The pond’s filter needed a clean out. Regular readers of this drivel may recall that I’ve always cleaned out the filter by upending it into the bath, and the last time I did it I blocked the drain quite impressively. Since then I’ve obtained a rather large flower pot which I cunningly positioned over the (opened) manhole cover. I upended the filter into the flower pot and gave it all a squirt with the hose pipe. I got the job done in half the time, and "er indoors TM" didn’t have to spend an hour plunging at the plug hole.

I then had a general sweep round and tidy up. I tried to move the potted palm as a prelude to planting the monkey puzzle tree, but it was incredibly heavy and I just managed to break the pot it was in, so I gave up. There is only so much garden work you can do.

 

I solved five geo-jigsaws, had a shower and went to bed. I slept like a log until the DHL man came hammering on the door. Most people ring the doorbell, but I suppose hammering on the door is more eco-friendly. Especially when the door bell isn’t working.

I spent half an hour fixing the door bell. Fixing went a lot quicker once I determined which of the two door bells was the one with a flat battery, and which was the one we were hoarding because we never throw anything away.

 

I’m off to the night shift soon. Via Sainsbury’s… if I get there. Operation Stack is in full flow again apparently.

I started the day feeling iffy and I’m not feeling fine now. I wonder if I’m going down with something?

No comments:

Post a Comment