24 September 2020 (Thursday) - Bit Tired


 With less than an hour to go on one of the quietest night shifts I’ve ever had, it all kicked off (as hospital work so often does). I was so glad when the relief arrived, even if I didn’t like leaving her quite so much work.

As I drove home the pundits on the radio were interviewing the Minister for Health and were giving him a hard time about the end of the furlough scheme. Just as the government has again announced everyone should be working from home so their furlough scheme is coming to an end. I rather thought they should have wheeled on a minister with responsibilities for that scheme rather than inviting the Minister for Health on to talk about something else and then quizzing him on something for which he wasn’t prepared.

Mind you they did let him talk about the government’s new Track and Trace app. He jabbered on about it and suggested that everyone should download it. If nothing else it will save a whole load of farting about whenever a public venue wants you to give them your contact information.

This was followed by five minutes peak-time air time which was completely wasted. On Monday Esther Rantzen had been on the radio talking about the value of speaking to people on the phone during lock-down (as opposed to sending text messages). To illustrate this, Radio Four broadcast a telephone conversation between two Scottish vicars. Listening to two people wittering about their superstitions (in barely comprehensible accents) was a shameful waste of the money that I pay for the BBC.

 

I parked up, got all my shopping and went in. "er indoors TM" wasn’t impressed that I’d got more toilet roll. Did we need it? Well, quite frankly we did. We were getting low. But with another panic-buying-of-bogroll season approaching, buying the stuff is seen as very bad form (whether the buyer needs it or not).

I had planned to take the dogs out, but the rain which had been waiting for me when I walked out of work in Maidstone had moved to Ashford, so I went to bed where I slept until the early afternoon.

 

Once awake I made toast, and downloaded the government’s new Track and Trace app. There are those who will bang on about invasions of privacy, but anyone reading this will know I don’t keep very much secret. And for anyone who is concerned about their privacy, have a look at your timeline in Google Maps.

Seeing the weather looked a bit brighter than it had earlier I took the dogs down to the woods where we waked for a couple of miles without meeting any other dogs. We met some of the normal people though. The first set were odd – who goes for a walk in the woods (after heavy rain) wearing your Sunday best, and then acts surprised when dogs jump up at you to say hello? And we met a little group on bicycles. The chap was older than me and was obviously pretending to be about forty years younger, and the two girls looked as though they should still be at school and would have been dressed more demurely had they been stark naked.

 

We got home just as the rain started. I geo-jigsaw-ed for a bit, then looked at the monthly accounts. For all that I would like a *lot* more money, I could be a whole lot worse off than I am.

 

I wonder what’s for dinner… I’ve got a bottle of “Laughing Llama” to have with it…

No comments:

Post a Comment