27 September 2020 (Sunday) - Linton

Just as I’d made my toast and poured out my coffee so Fudge appeared and asked to go out. My toast and coffee then got cold as he played his favourite game of “silly beggars” as he marched round the garden checking to see if it was all as he’d left it yesterday.

As I ate cold toast and drank cold coffee I peered into the Internet. There was a rather tedious squabble kicking off on geocaching dot com about the official sizes of geocaches. What is “small”, what is “micro”? Does it matter, and who cares? It would seem that it does matter… Had I discovered the Facebook “Geocaching UK” page before I had discovered the Kent geocaching community I would long since have given up the hobby. It is supposed to be a bit of fun.

I also saw a friend had been to an event at Leeds Castle yesterday which was specifically for NHS staff. I knew nothing about this. One lives and learns. I wouldn’t have gone, but it would have been nice to have known about it.

 

We got ourselves organised for the day, we had our bags packed and the leads on to the dogs who were coming with us. The planned walk was far too much for Sid so he was staying behind. We were just about to settle him down when he sharted. It has to be said that Sid doesn’t muck about in the toilet department, and when he sharts, he sharts to the limit and beyond. So we spent ten minutes clearing up dog diarrhoea. With dog dung cleared up we then found some more… We weren’t *that* late getting out, but it would be today that the road was closed at Leeds Castle.

 

We eventually got to the car park at Linton Church where we met up with Karl, Tracey and Charlotte, and we set off on a little walk. During the week a new series of geocaches had gone live in the area, and we thought that they might make for a good walk.

They did.

Have you ever walked round Linton? Admittedly it is rather hilly, but it is beautiful. Our route took us along rather quiet country lanes and along footpaths through very pretty countryside with amazing views. A lot of the route went through orchards, and the dogs could run off of the leads for much of the walk. There’s no denying the weather could have been better; it was spitting with rain as we started, but the rain soon cleared up.

About half way round we spotted a couple of people walking behind us who looked as though they’d stopped at the previous geocache. And then my phone rang. It was the people behind us – it was Aleta. We stopped and waited for her to catch up, and we walked the last part of the walk as a (socially-distanced) group.

The wind was quite strong, but we found a sheltered spot in the woods where we had our picnic. The dogs had rice with broccoli and carrots and stilton (in honour of two-thirds of them having had a birthday on Friday), the ladies had flavoured cider, and I had a bottle of Gadds’ No5 and a bottle of Badger’s Golden Champion.

Geocache-wise this was an excellent walk. Straight-forward hides on an easy-to-follow route. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who fancies finding out what it is that I do with the dogs most weekends.

I took one or two photos as we walked too…

 

I dozed much of the way home. I wasn’t at all sleepy a week ago having walked sixteen miles; today I was all-in after five miles. What was that all about?

We came home, and immediately bundled all the dogs into the garden so that we could clean up what I can only describe as diarrhoea central. Sid had been confined to the non-carpeted bits of the house while we had been out, but still had made quite a mess of his blankets. He seems to have very little control of his rear end these days, and he is a delicate little blossom. The other dogs can eat pretty much anything and just fart a lot, but Sid’s constitution isn’t quite as robust.

 

I watched three episodes of Bob Ross’s “The Joy of Painting” whilst "er indoors TM" boiled up dinner, then we scoffed a very good dinner washed down with a good bottle of plonk. As we scoffed we watched two episodes of “Richard Osman’s House of Games”. Have you noticed how all the celebrity contestants clap themselves in these TV quiz shows? I wish they wouldn’t…

No comments:

Post a Comment