22 February 2020 (Saturday) - Coming Home


After the excitement of the first night and the shouts of the deer and fox fight on the second night the dogs were all-in last night. I don’t think Pogo and Treacle moved all night, and Charlotte assured me that Fudge had been similarly exhausted.
We had our last full English of the holiday. Oh – it was good. Fudge was so funny. Usually he loves toast crusts. Today he totally refused them; he knew there was sausages and bacon on the plates.

We paid our bills (*very* reasonable!), we packed our bags, and after just the teensiest diversion we were in Hauxton. Rather than having a long drive home we thought we might break up the journey and have a little dog-walk. And if we found one or two film pots stashed under rocks on that walk, then that would be something of a result.
We found thirty-seven.

I didn’t like to say anything before we started, but my back had been twinging a bit. Yesterday I’d nearly snapped my ankle in a rabbit hole, and in trying to avoid falling flat on my face I’d twisted something in my back. And so I had a choice… I could walk with backache or I could play the “sick note”. But either way my back would ache, and I’d rather go for a walk than sulk. My back held up for pretty much most of the walk. It only started giving my serious gyp toward the end of the walk.
And we had a good walk.

Over the last two days we’d walked through some of the thickest mud ever. Today we could have walked in trainers; there was so little mud. It was still rather windy, but we managed.
The Hauxton Hip-Hop was a very good walk of six miles. Some followed main roads, much of it was cross country. We did chuckle (!) when we found a road sign clearly saying “Access to the Footpath”. It lied. Someone had paid good money to have a road sign made that was deliberately misleading. The footpath was a further hundred yards up the road.
I took a few photos of the day (as I do)
The plan had been to finish walking at three o’clock, and we weren’t far off. We finished just as the rain started. We said our goodbyes, and we Munzee-d all the way home.

Bearing in mind the seriously high winds of the last few days I had been fully expecting to come home to garden disaster. The first thing I did when we got home was to have a look in the back garden. All the fences were still standing. The bodge I’d applied on Tuesday had held. I was rather pleased about that.

We unpacked and made a start on the laundry. First of all we needed to re-waterproof the coats that had let trough rather more rain than we would have liked.
"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of curry which we scoffed whilst watching yesterday’s episode of “Star Trek: Picard”. As a life-long trekkie I’m sorry to say that I’m fast going off this show. When I was eight years old I used to love watching Star Trek. This most recent episode would give an eight-year-old nightmares.

It was a shame that we missed the Cheriton Festival of Lights which was on this evening. If we’d been told that it was actually the Festival of Lights which was taking place rather than some dull fairy tales thing in the library, what with the dogs being absolutely all-in, we would probably have made the effort to go.
Oh well… maybe next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment