26 February 2020 (Wednesday) - Late Shift


I had an early night last night an slept like a log despite not having that much of the duvet. There are issues with the duvet in that Pogo keeps getting stuck inside the thing (that’s “inside”, not “under”).
Over a couple of slices of toast (shared with three dogs) I had a look at the Internet. I had a request to follow Karen Gillan on Facbook. Karen Gillan had announced that she was finally on Facebook, and that I should follow her page to stay up to date. I did wonder what I was supposed to be keeping up to date with; a quick Google search showed me that Karen Gillan had been in Doctor Who seven years ago when she played the part of one of the less-crappy sidekicks. I would have thought that the time to try to create a large following on social media was when you actually were famous, not seven years later, but what do I know?
I also saw that someone I used to know years ago has gone to Kuwait to the international kite festival only to find the event has been cancelled for fear of corona virus. That’s a long way to go to be let down.

I got the leads onto the dogs and we went for a little wander. As we walked up the road we met Dan-Dan (niece-in-law is probably the closest description) and little Bella. Realistically Bella will be the one bossing everyone around at my funeral – she is definitely a family matriarch in the making. She bossed the dogs round for a bit, then carried on to play-school.
As we walked into the park we met a Fudge-look-alike. The resemblance was uncanny, but the dog was much smaller. Just a puppy. I expect we’ll see this one again.
We had a good walk. It was a bright sunny morning and we had no “episodes” at all. There were a few other dog walkers, and we all passed each other without incident. I did smile when I saw a couple of dog walkers who used to be part of OrangeHead’s posse who were walking without Orangehead. Has there been another schism there?

We came home, and once I’d set the washing machine going I harvested the dog dung from the garden. Bearing in mind how much they dump when out, it amazes me how there can be quite so much poop at home. I wrote up some CPD, then watched the last episode of the current season of “Titans”. It was rather good, but I think the entire lot needs re-watching before I embark on the third season (if there is one). I wonder what I can binge-watch next on Netflix?
I hung out the washing, and set off to work.

It seemed something of a novelty to drive to work in daylight. As I drove there was an article on the radio about NHS prescription charges. Several people with various conditions came on and ranted about how much they pay for their prescriptions, and how they sometimes have to choose between medicines and food as money is so tight. Without wishing to appear unsympathetic I couldn't help but wonder how these people would cope in an American-type health care system where there is no NHS and they would have to pay every time they saw the doctors as well as pay for their medication.
Mind you one of them made the point that there is (apparently) a lot of evidence suggesting that people who have to choose between eating or medicine end up in hospital more often than those who don't, and that costs the NHS far more than giving free prescriptions ever would. Free prescriptions for all is actually a cost saver (or so it was claimed).
I don't know who is right and who is wrong; I'm just glad that I don't have to make these decisions.
This was followed by half an hour of Alexei Sayle. I spent the duration of his show laughing out loud at what were actually serious political points about the sad state of our country. As Alexei says, show me a millionaire and I'll show you nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine people who are short of a quid.

I got to Pembury, had a rather good vegetable fajita wrap thingy, and went into work where we had more cakes than sense. One of the girls was leaving today to have a baby in the not too distant future. As I said goodbye to her this evening I found myself thinking about when the fruits of my loin first appeared (all those years ago).
I can't help but think that if I could do it all over again I'd make a much better job of it now than I did then. I’m told that "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" has taken up boxing…

No comments:

Post a Comment