27 November 2014 (Thursday) - Between the Night Shifts

I quite liked last night's night shift; at the risk of appearing antisocial there is a lot to be said for having the place to yourself. Just as I was leaving work this morning my phone beeped. An email. A new geocache in Folkestone. Not exactly on the way home, but I thought I could chase the FTF then see the baby. After all I'd not had an FTF so far this month, and I'd not seen littlun for a few days.

It was odd driving into work in the dark last night. Simularly coming home in daylight this morning seemed strange too. As I drove to Folkestone there was something thought-provoking on the radio. The price of oil has dropped by one third in the last six months. But how much has the price fallen at the petrol pump? From what I can see on line the price I pay has only fallen by three per cent in that same time period. At first sight you might think someone's making a tidy profit here. But this isn't the case. The sad truth is that the price of oil is only a tiny amount of the final cost of petrol. The vast majority of the cost is actually government-imposed taxes.
This isn't news; I knew this all along. But realising that a drop in oil prices of a third only results in a petrol price drop of three per cent brings that fact home.

There was also talk about trials of a vaccine againist ebola. Apparently (according to the radio) the vaccine has been shown to boost the immune system which is vital in fighting the disease. Really? What a purile statement. It's tantamount to being surprised at the news that when an animal bites you, it does so with its mouth.
Perhaps I'm just being impatient with my felllow man... surely everyone knows that gaining an immunity to a disease involves the immune system? Don't they?

I got to Folkestone, found the cache I was after, was first to do so, did the happy dance, then went round to see "Daddies Little Angel TM" and the baby. Littlun has grown more; he's noticeably stronger. When holding him he *really* pushes with his arms and legs now. He smiled at me and gurgled as littluns do.
I was rather amazed to find that "Daddies Little Angel TM" had all the christmas decorations up already. But then again, that's the kind of "Daddies Little Angel TM" that she is.
Sid was in disgrace; having disgraced himself on the carpet. I then came home to find "Furry Face TM" had also disgraced himself. He knew he'd done wrong. I cleared up the mess as best I could (we've got a spray for that), then took him for a short walk. Not far today as it was raining rather hard. And then I filled the hot water bottle that I couldn't find yesterday and went to bed. There's something odd about going to bed at 10.30am.
The hot water bottle did the trick; I always settle much quicker when I don't have cold feet. Just as I was dozing off I heard the thunder of paws coming up the stairs. "Furry Face TM" jumped up (he shouldn't do that) and the two of us slept through till 3pm. I would have liked to have slept longer really. Maybe tomorrow?

I got up had some toast for late lunch, and fiddled about until it was time for sax leson. I've not really made much progress this week. Teacher will be cross.
And once I've saxed I've another night shift....

No comments:

Post a Comment