6 October 2011 (Thursday) - Time for a Change?

Today’s news is full of praise for Steve Jobs. One of the leading lights at Apple, he died recently, and all the pundits have been singing his praises. Personally I never met the chap, nor have I really had much to do with Apple’s products, so I can’t honestly say that I am overly affected by the sad news.
However it does strike me as a shame that the media had to wait until his death before saying anything good about him. I can remember news articles over the summer about his health: those articles weren’t especially respectful to the chap.
This morning’s radio news broadcast a part of a speech that Mr Jobs made at Stanford University a while back. What he said struck a chord with me: “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

It’s no secret that I’m not enamoured with my current job. I spent a bit of time today looking up advice on CV preparation.  I shall dust off my C.V., update it, and see if I can’t find something to do which I might like doing a bit better.

Meanwhile back in reality one of the problems I’ve been having with the diet recently is measuring my weight. Our old bathroom scales aren’t very good. When I stand on them, I can make my weight vary by over a stone depending on how and where I stand on them; the dial is that wobbly.
So, even though I really couldn’t afford it, I bought some digital scales from Asda. Being digital, there is no trying to guess where the dial is. And they are precise: that is, the result they give is very repeatable. However I’m not sure they are accurate – they tell me I am exactly a stone heavier than the old scales said.
I expect MyFitnessPal will go mental when I tell it my new revised weight. So what do I do? Not update my weight on it until I’ve lost a stone? Commence blagging and tell it I’ve lost a pound for every two that come off?

No comments:

Post a Comment