11 January 2024 (Thursday) - A Little Drinkie

I had another good night, but woke to another cold morning. I made toast and as I turned on the telly there was a very old episode of "Bullseye" featuring Jim "super, smashing, great" Bowen. As was always the way in this show he was faced with two rather frightened looking contestants who (in a display of wanton greed) gambled some rather crappy prizes in the forlorn hope of winning a caravan they neither needed nor wanted, and lost the lot. There is an urban myth in Ashford that somewhere on a disused railway yard near Matalan there is the remains of an old speedboat which was won by contestants on that show who abandoned it there as they had absolutely no use for it, and having abandoned it there, there it has stayed for forty years.
I watched an episode of "Peep Show" featuring a supposedly nudey Olivia Coleman, and as I turned Netflix off the TV was playing an infomercial for the latest model of the nutribullet which still features the grinning bimbo from the "Yes Car Credit" adverts. I blogged about her ten years ago; in the meantime she's got a family and would seem to feed them on stuff minced up in her all-new nutribullit. They’ve made a Mark II of the thing which she is now flogging.
 
I had a very quick look on-line and saw that Sainsburys had sent me an email. They had analysed the shopping for which I'd got savings on my Nectar card over the last year. Apparently in 2023 my top purchase from Sainsburys was small bottles of diet coke, with Shaken Udder salted caramel milk shake in second position and all-butter croissants in third.
I wouldn't have thought that. But their computer says so, so it must be true...
 
Unless their computer comes from the same place as the post office's computer. The pundits on the radio were talking of little else but the Horizon computer scandal this morning. A lot of what was said was speculation about what they didn't know or repetition of what little they did know. There was nothing new to be said, but they still talked and talked. The only thing of interest on the matter was in the "Yesterday in Parliament" section; with all the MPs banging on about the Horizon scandal, some MP from the Scottish Nationalist Party listed loads of other miscarriages of justice and asked when ITV would make a drama series about those so that Parliament might then take them seriously as well.
The chap had a point. A week ago there was nothing but Gaza in the news. It got a little mention today, but not much. And I've heard nothing from Ukraine for ages.
 
I stopped off at Ashford's Sainsbury's for petrol, and at Pembury's Tesco for cereal bars (I like those).
You'd have thought that petrol would have featured on my Nectar card purchase list, wouldn't you? I wonder if Tesco's clubcard keeps track on what I buy?
 
At tea break I had an email from the people in whose field we stage Dog Club. They'd had an email from the people who provide the insurance. Do we have any XL Bullies that come to Dog Club?
We don't.
I'd have thought that a banned breed of dog would automatically be excluded from any insurance policies anyway; I expect those providing the policies have had so many "episodes" that they need to point out the obvious. It's a sad old world in which the obvious needs to be pointed out, but there it is.
Once home I posted about this to the club’s Facebook page so’s people can’t say they haven’t been told.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching a couple of episodes of “The Reluctant Landlord”. A show from six years go; it was rather good.
As we scoffed we had a bottle of plonk. I like a bottle of plonk… However at three quid a bottle this stuff lacked a certain je ne sais quoi

No comments:

Post a Comment