20 January 2024 (Saturday) - Lazy Day

Just lately social media has been crawling with memes about not letting dogs go out into the cold… pretty much all posted by people with absolutely no experience of dogs whatsoever. Morgan and Bailey love going into the garden to sniff round no matter what time of day. After umpteen sessions of “silly beggars” this morning I said no – they could not go out again, and whilst I had a shave one crapped by the back door.
 
“er indoors TM set off out for the day leaving me and the dogs “home alone”. I made toast. Overnight a jar of honey had appeared by the toaster. As I scoffed toast I had a look at the Internet. This morning’s main argument on Facebook was about garden ponds. You wouldn’t believe how aggressive people get about garden ponds. I turn off the pumps on my pond when it gets cold. Physics tells us that water is densest at four degrees centigrade, so if you don’t stir the water, the warmest water sinks as it is heavier than the stuff which freezes at the top. Thereby leaving liquid stud for the fish to swim in.
And physics also tells us that a pond filter full of ice-cold water will freeze up and pogger itself.
However it is plain that physics holds little sway in pond keeping circles with many people demanding that pumps and filters be kept running all year long. And also with the same people asking where they can buy new pumps and filters because once their pond froze entirely, their pumps and filters got poggered by the ice as well.
I also saw that three people on my Facebook Friends list had birthdays today. I sent birthday wishes to the one who has made any effort to keep in touch over the last seven years then got the leads onto the dogs.
 
We drove round to Repton where I opened up the field and we had a rather good Dog Club. We chased and played and had a great time, even if there was a definite shortage of tennis balls. Some new dogs were along for the first time; they seemed a little daunted at first but soon got into the thick of things.
As all the dogs charged and played I became conscious that I couldn’t see Bailey. I whistled and Morgan came running. But not Bailey. I walked round the rest of the paddock and I heard someone calling. A woman in her dressing gown was standing on her doorstep asking if we’d lost a dog. When I looked closer I found my missing pup in her arms. Somehow Bailey had escaped. That was embarrassing.
 
What with errant dogs I was a tad late getting out of Dog Club this morning and so missed most of the clues for the Mystery Year competition on the radio. That was a shame; I like that.
I had considered taking the pups to Kings Wood as the Friends of Kings Wood had organised a “dog friendly” walk starting in the late morning. But after an email to the organiser it turned out that the walk wasn’t so much “dog friendly” as “dogs tolerated but must be on leads the entire time”. Bearing in mind my three are used to running free for miles round Kings Wood I thought better of going.
We came home and I harvested an epic bumper crop of dog dung from the garden. Something odd is happening in the world of dog dung; I cleared the garden of the stuff late yesterday afternoon. Could three rather small dogs *really* have generated so much poop overnight; especially when you consider that one of them (the escape artist) has a penchant for running round eating turds.
I then gently cracked the thick ice on the pond, then came inside. Once I’d got the washing machine showing my undercrackers who was boss I tried to run round with the Hoover. You’d think this would be a simple task, but both Morgan and Bailey had declared war on it and were trying to bite lumps out of it every time I moved the thing.
 
By the time I sat down with a cuppa and the last of the Christmas cake I was worn out. With the Hoover put away the dogs soon settled and it wasn’t long before they were snoring. I cracked on with the ironing whilst watching episodes of “Peep Show” in which our heroes were competing to “do the dirty deed” with with Big Suze.
With ironing done I sat with the dogs and read “Orange is the New Black” on my Kindle App (which gave me another award), then after a little sleep watched episodes of “Star Trek: Voyager” until “er indoors TM came home with kebabs. We scoffed kebabs whilst watching “McDonald and Dobbs”.
 
Sometimes you can’t beat a lazy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment