10 January 2024 (Wednesday) - Stuff

I slept well last night, and woke far later than usual. Still far too early, but later than usual, which was a result. It was rather cold when I got up. I made toast, watched more “Peep Show” then had a little look at the Internet. Someone on my Facebook list was jetting off on yet another holiday. I have a theory about holidays… a holiday is cheaper than turning on the heating. It must be.
 
Taking care not to sit on any dogs as I got dressed (they get under-arse as well as under-foot) I set off to find my car, and spent a few minutes scraping the ice. It was particularly frosty today, but what do you expect in January?
I decided against a Munzee mission today. My heart wasn’t in it. Pretty much every hobby I’ve ever got involved with that involves interacting with other people has one big drawback. The people with whom I interact. In every other such hobby (the snake club, the astro club, geocaching, scouting) there are those who contribute to the hobby, and there are those who sit back and take advantage of those who contribute to the hobby. Sadly I’m finding I’m spending upwards of twenty quid a month on Munzing and I’m beginning to resent doing so.
 
Today I was working at Pembury, so I left home early. The last few times I was there I found my journey hindered by endless road works. Today there was only one set of road works which I drove straight through. Mind you I did find myself faced with an idiot in a white van coming head-on at me in Sissinghurst. The idiot in the white van seemed rather hacked off that I was driving on the right (as in “correct”) side of the road.
As I drove I listened to the pundits on the radio spouting their drivel. Much of it was immediately forgettable, but I was disappointed to hear that NASA has postponed its planned lunar landing by a year. I don’t remember the first Moon landing, but I remember Apollo Thirteen. As a lad the Moon landings were exciting and a vision of the future. A future which turned out to be something of a let-down. I expect people will walk on the Moon again in my lifetime, but I’m sure I won’t live long enough to see people walking on Mars.
There was also a lot of talk about the Post Office computer scandal. It would seem there’s now calls for the people who made the computer system to be held accountable for the thing’s failures. Personally I can’t help but think that the blame lays with those who didn’t test it properly. Does anyone remember the NHS “Connecting for Health” project of fifteen years ago when the people who made the Post Office’s errant computer system contracted to made an NHS-wide computer system… eventually admitted they weren’t up to it and didn’t get sued for wasting public money.
 
I got to work and didn’t have the best of days.  I did my bit whilst grumbling, and was glad when home time came. Having driven straight in this morning the A21 was bunged up this evening so I cut cross country. As I drove the radio told me it was broadcasting the evening comedy show. I was glad it had told me; I wouldn’t have realised. “Clare in the Community” was on the lame side.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the last episode of “Outsidersand then we found a rather random show about Bill Bailey swimming with whale sharks.
I wouldn’t mind doing that… I’d have to go to Australia though. I probably won’t. It’s not the money, the problem would be leaving the dogs for so long…

No comments:

Post a Comment