2 January 2024 (Tuesday) - The News

Yesterday I foolishly boasted about the triumph which was our new duvet system. Although it gave us a decent night sleep on its first go, I overlooked that it does nothing about having restless dogs. Morgan was particularly restless last night and consequently so was I as he kept fidgeting about.
Needing some drivel to watch as I scoffed toast, this morning I started watching "Peep Show". “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” has raved about it in the past. In all honesty I thought the first episode was rather crap, but I shall persevere; it might get better.
 
I got dressed and walked a couple of streets away to where I'd parked the car after collecting “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” on Saturday, then set off to work through a rather dull and dark morning.
As I drove the pundits on the radio were spouting their usual drivel (as they do). They started with an interview with the Shadow something-or-other... some bloke who was being rather critical about the government's financial record. Bearing in mind there's been a global pandemic and a global financial disaster (to say nothing of Liz Truss ballsing it all up in the meantime), the current government is probably doing the best it can under less than ideal circumstances. This chap said that today the Labour party would be releasing some website in which you can work out how badly you've personally done under fourteen years of Conservative government. It tells me that under the Tories I’m a thousand quid a year worse off.
Well, it would, wouldn’t it?
All I can say when it comes to finance and the Labour party is that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
 
There was then a lot of talk about Labour's plans for dealing with illegal immigrants... The whole subject of illegal immigration boils my piss. It is a problem that we as a nation have chosen to have. Back in the day the UK was a member of a group of twenty-seven nations, most of which had a problem in that loads of illegal immigrants were charging through their borders hell-bent on getting to one of them. However that one of them left and set up on its own, and overnight what was once a collective problem for the European Union became somebody else's problem.
Illegal immigration to the UK is (sadly) a totally predictable consequence of Brexit...
The Labour spokesman being interviewed spoke a load of twaddle, as spokesmen of all political persuasions do. However the only solution to the problem of illegal immigration is for the UK to make itself a far less attractive proposition than any of the alternatives open to the illegal immigrants. It ain't rocket science, is it?
 
And it would seem that the Shipping Forecast is a hundred years old. I can remember my father listening to it mesmerised as it spoke of precipitation being within sight in Cromarty and something falling more slowly in Wight. The woman who reads it out every night (at about quarter to one in the morning) was being interviewed, and she claimed that a lot of people find it relaxing and restful.
Back in the day when I used to be alone when I did night shifts in Canterbury I used to turn the radio off during the Shipping Forecast; I've always found it rather sinister.
 
Needing petrol I popped to the Sainsbury's filling station in Aylesford where the stuff was being knocked out at ten pence per litre less than the last time I got any.
And then on to work. At tea break when I tuned in to my e-book my Kindle app announced it had given me an award for actually reading a e-book, and it told me it has eight others it might give me before the end of March if it feels so inclined.
I wonder if it will?
 
After an award from my Kindle app the rest of the day was something of an anticlimax…

No comments:

Post a Comment