31 January 2024 (Wednesday) - Red Alert

Having taken care to ensure the internet connection and mobile data were switched off on my mobile, it woke me a couple of times (just as I was nodding off) with alerts about things to which it should have been totally oblivious. Even with all connection to the internet severed it still manages to get these alerts. I wish it wouldn't. It never shouts to tell me about anything I really need to know about right away.
“er indoors TM brought the dogs to bed about an hour after my phone finally shut its rattle. As she settled down and started snoring so the dogs fought a pitched battle for the bed space she wasn't occupying. The fact that I was already in it was neither here nor there to the hounds. Eventually an uneasy truce was reached, and I tried to sleep as best I could, twisted around Morgan and Treacle. For all that they are rather small, they take up an awful lot of bed space.
 
Over brekkie I watched another episode of "Peep Show", then had a look at the Internet. There was a serious squabble kicking off on one of the Facebook pages I moderate. The page is about an obscure series of sci-fi books written over forty years ago. Someone had asked that if the books were made into films, which famous actors would play which characters. And someone else was getting rather nasty that hardly anyone had chosen a racially diverse group of actors. Personally I wouldn't have done so because I would have cast actors according to how the characters were described.
In any case it is incredibly unlikely that the films would ever be made... some people would argue over anything
 
I set off for work. As I drove I listened to the radio to keep abreast of the news of the day... Or that was my plan. With moonquakes (like an earthquake but on the Moon) where the Americans are planning to build their Moonbase and an entirely new form of life having been found the pundits on the radio were dribbling on about the petty bickering of politicians who will be out on their arses before the year is out.
It never fails to amaze me how much importance the radio puts on petty trivia, and how low the regard in which they hold stuff which may well be the key to the long-term survival of humanity.
 
I got to work, and five minutes into the early shift I had a red alert. People have entirely the wrong idea about red alerts; they are nowhere near as exciting and sexy as Captain Kirk would have you believe. Fortunately this one was all over in less than ten minutes, but those ten minutes were rather nerve-wracking.
The rest of the day was a tad dull in comparison.
 
With work worked I came home and cleared the garden of dog dung. Not the most pleasant of tasks, but I’d rather do it before Bailey does it (she can be a foul creature!) and I then did a little more of my Coursera course. After a shaky start it seems to be perking up a bit. Measurement of quality… be careful with what you choose to measure.
As I finished so not-so-nice-next-door started clanging on her piano. I rather thought she was away; I’ve not seen lights on in her house for some time.
 
“er indoors TMboiled up a rather good bit of scran which we scoffed whilst watching moreJunior Bake Off. She’s now having a go at a jigsaw; I’m going to fight with some geo-puzzles, and have an early night. I end up with more bed space if I get to bed first, get all of it and then have it taken from me rather than trying for a fair fight with the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment