5 January 2024 (Friday) - Bit Tired

Last night’s shift wasn’t especially busy… but I’ll make the observation that I can remember one day in 1984 when my workload included six coagulation investigations. My boss at the time thought this to be ridiculously excessive and sent a memo to everyone with the authority to request these tests. He explained that six in one day was far too many, and would doctors please only request those coagulation investigations that were strictly clinically necessary.
Last night I did forty.
 
As I drove home this morning I listened to the news on the radio as I do. There was a lot of talk about the general election. One hasn’t been called yet but (by law) there has to be one this year. Mind you, as I ranted yesterday, “the law” only works all the time people follow it. What would happen if the Prime Minister didn’t call a general election? After all, Donald Trump only went wrong when he lost an election and tried to stage a coup. Had he just stayed in office and not called an election…?
Back in the day I was something of a loonie leftie. These days I’m not so sure. But I predict that the main player in this year’s general election will be the Reform UK party. Most people haven’t heard of them so far. Basically they are an extreme right-wing bunch whose main policy is to send them all back on the next banana boat, and have taken over where UKIP and the Brexit party left off. Having announced they intend to contest every constituency in the next general election they will split the Conservative vote and Labour will get into power not because they won, but because the Conservatives lost.
Democracy, eh?
And there was a lot of consternation being expressed about the plight pf poor Luke Littler. Having won two hundred thousand pounds by coming second in the World Darts Championship he’s got to pay eighty-three thousand quid in income tax.
Darts fans are up in arms.
I can’t see why. This is how professional darts players operate. They compete for a cash prize in the same way that I stroll up to a hospital and do blood tests. I have to pay income tax; why shouldn’t a darts player, no matter how old they are?
It amazes me that all the darts fans are up in arms about his having to pay tax. No one has voiced the rather controversial opinion that two hundred thousand quid for coming second is about six times the average annual income for someone working in the UK.
 
I got home, had a shave and went to bed for the morning. I woke after two hours. I could have gone back to sleep, but I got up. If I’d spent the entire day asleep I wouldn’t have slept tonight.
I made myself a rather late brekkie, and then spent nearly three hours catching up on the ironing. What with Christmas I’d let it slip. As I ironed I watched something on Netflix about the Great Train Robbery. It was rather good. And after that I watched two hours of Ancient Aliens on the history channel. Have you ever watched Ancient Aliens? It is so laughable that it is brilliant. The show takes pretty much everything and anything and makes the assertion that whatever it is talking about this week *might* be the work of aliens when clearly anyone but the most feeble-minded simpleton can see that it is not.
 
“er indoors TM got us dinner from the KFC, and I then spent the evening trying to stay awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment