24 January 2024 (Wednesday) - Oi-Oi-Oi (!)

Despite a relatively good night asleep I was still wide awake half an hour before the alarm would have gone off. Note that is "would have" and not "would of". No one in the entire history of the English language "would of" ever done anything. Neither has anyone ever "might of", "should of" or "could of" done anything either...
This is one of my pet hates. Such a petty and trivially insignificant thing, but it boils my piss to the limit and beyond.
Sorry…
 
I got up, made toast and watched another episode of "Peep Show" as best I could. As I watched telly not-so-nice-next-door was making strange noises. Not particularly loud, but there was a constant stream of her shouting "Oi - Oi - Oi" coming through the wall. I wonder what that was all about? Some sort of exercise routine perhaps? Back in the day she used to go running very early every morning. Perhaps she does aerobics now?
With telly watched and "Oi - Oi - Oi" stopped I had a little look at the Internet. There was a minor squabble on one of the local Facebook groups in which someone was claiming that they were being victimised. All of this woman's posts to this particular group weren't passing the moderators, but other people were posting stuff containing swear words with impunity. It seemed that the moderators of that group had no problem with swearing but didn't want a constant stream of posts trying to sell stuff which people neither needed nor wanted. Personally I would have taken my tat elsewhere to flog it (and in days gone by I did just that), but this woman seemed to enjoy playing the victim. I suppose we all do really; I certainly have done from time to time.
 
Taking care not to wake “er indoors TM or the dogs I got ready for work and wondered whether to go up or down the road. Ideally I needed to go in the direction which would have taken me to my car... if only I remembered where I'd parked it yesterday. I took pot luck and went down the road pressing the unlock button on the key. Eventually I saw some orange indicator lights flashing in the distance.
 
As I drove there was more talk on the radio about Royal Mail deliveries. Yesterday there was talk about their cutting the frequency of deliveries. Yesterday I mentioned that I don't think we get daily deliveries any more. It was intimated  that not everyone does, even though Royal Mail have a legal obligation to do so. The chap being interviewed today pointed out that at the moment Royal Mail only get a third of the letters they are geared up to deal with. Various possibilities for the future of Royal Mail were discussed, one of which being that the government actually pay for a public service and learn the lessons from the fallacy of selling off public services to make a quick profit.
A lesson I think we all learned years ago.
The "Yesterday in Parliament" session was interesting... I say "interesting". Our elected leaders were braying and shouting like ill-behaved schoolchildren. Were they to conduct themselves with a little more decorum then people might have a little more respect for them.
There was quite a bit of talk about how Simon Clark (MP for  Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland) has called for the Prime Minister to resign because Rishi Sunak “is leading the Conservatives into an election where we will be massacred” because “he does not get what Britain needs. And he is not listening to what the British people want.” Bearing in mind that Mr Clarke was a leading light in the utter debacle that was Liz Truss's government, I can't help but think that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Or lob rocks. The general consensus from those wheeled on to the radio was that Mr Sunak is doing the best that he can under less than ideal circumstances. It was also hinted that that bearing in mind the Conservatives will be out on their arse at the next election anyway, it would be kinder to blame him for an election defeat *after* it happened rather than before.
This left me wondering why anyone would ever want to go into politics. Unless you give the feeble-minded what they want when they want it, you just get chucked out of office in favour of the next smiling smarmy git who says that shit is sugar.
 
Work was work, but one of the benefits of being on an early is that I get out early. I came home, made “er indoors TM and myself a cuppa each, and had my monthly look at the accounts. Not too shabby really. They could be better, but they have certainly been worse.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching an episode of “Junior Bake Off” and then “Dogs Behaving (very) Badly”. When I see how bad some people’s dogs are, I realise that my three could be a whole lot worse…

No comments:

Post a Comment