18 January 2024 (Thursday) - Rather Dull

Last night’s shift wasn’t bad, but I was still glad when the early shift rolled up. Pausing only briefly to scrape the ice from the car’s windscreen I was soon driving down the motorway listening to the pundits talking drivel on the radio. The Prime Minister has got his way getting Parliament to agree (in principle) to sending asylum seekers to Rwanda. Am I being harsh in thinking that not a single one of those coming over the channel in small boats is actually an asylum seeker? I don’t deny they are felling from something nasty, but the moment they arrived in mainland Europe they were safe and in a position to seek asylum.
There was also talk of Pakistan and Iran hurling missiles at each other.
Am I being hopelessly naïve in wondering why people can’t make the effort to get on with each other for a change?
I got home, had a shower and a shave and went to bed for a couple of hours.
 
On waking I took the dogs for a little wander round the roads. I’d had a message that one of my nearby geocaches had gone missing. It had, so I replaced it.
We came home, I put the kettle on and had a couple of croissants (that were going cheap in Sainsbury’s last night) for a late brekkie, and put on a film. “The Football Factory” is an old favourite of mine; is it really twenty years old? As I watched I shared a bag of pork scratchings with the dogs. They seem to like pork scratchings.
And then I had my look at the Internet. It was still there; not much had happened since I’d had a look in the small hours whilst at work. So I made a cuppa, cut myself a lump of Christmas cake, and dozed in front of the telly watching episodes of “Peep Show” until “er indoors TM came home.
 
The trouble with doing a night shift is that once I’ve done one, I’m no good for anything and so the day after a night shift is effectively a day wasted. Having done the ironing on Tuesday evening, the highlight of today really was sharing a bag of pork scratchings with the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment