23 January 2024 (Tuesday) - Seven Years Later

Treacle woke me shortly before the alarm was due to go off; she was having a nightmare. She was whimpering and growling in her sleep, so I fussed her until she settled. Dogs really do dream.
I had a shave, made toast and watched another episode of "Peep Show". I'm now into the fifth season of it; apparently there are nine seasons so I am now half-way through. It passes an otherwise dull half-hour whilst I scoff toast. Some episodes are more entertaining than others, but unless something changes rather radically, if you see one episode, you've seen the lot.
 
With toast scoffed I had a look at the Internet. It was still there. Not much had happened overnight other than me getting an email from the power company who have looked at my gas and leccie usage over the last year. Despite leccie and gas prices soaring and the last year's rampant inflation, they have decided to cut my monthly bills by thirty quid. I'm now paying sixty quid a month less than I had been paying two years ago. How does that work?
 
I got dressed; Treacle was sleeping peacefully by then. I set off to work through two sets of temporary traffic lights. No one was working at either... Am I being hopelessly naive in thinking that if no one is working at traffic lights then the contractors should put down huge metal sheets (over which the traffic could drive) and open up the road? I'm reliably informed that road works carry on overnight in other parts of the world.
As I drove up Brookfield Road I was conscious of a large van behind me. Driving far too close behind me with his headlights dazzling me. This chap stayed at a constant two yards behind me until he eventually came alongside at the traffic lights for the Godinton estate where he flew off rather dangerously. I've often said that if people want to drive like idiots that is up to them, but doing so with their company's name emblazoned all over their vehicle can be somewhat counterproductive. Look at the Google reviews of this company (picking one totally at random). No one comments on their construction abilities; just their poor driving.
 
As I headed up the motorway I listened to the pundits on the radio as I do most days. There was quite a bit of talk about Royal Mail and how often they deliver. Back in the day there were two letter deliveries a day, but back in the day they were delivering twenty billion letters every year. Nowadays they shift less than half of that amount, and this morning there was talk of delivering twice weekly rather than twice daily. I'm not sure who was doing the talking though; I'm sure we currently only have deliveries twice a week.
And overnight American and British forces have given the Houthi rebels in Yemen yet another slap. It doesn't seem to have discouraged them though. History tells us that those who think they are fighting a religious war won't let up easily, doesn't it? Talking of religion, India is gearing up for presidential elections, and the hopefuls are making a point of being seen acting very piously in the temples.
Here we are in the third decade of the twenty-first century and still superstition triumphs over common sense.
 
I got to work for the early shift. Today was something of a milestone at work; it is seven years since I started working at Maidstone. There’s no denying that I was rather apprehensive about leaving where I used to work. I’d had good times and bad times there; toward the end some incredibly bad times. But having worked in a place for thirty-two years, leaving takes quite a serious leap of faith. Seven years ago I said about my new job “I rarely blog about work, and I’m not going to do so today. Suffice it to say I quite like the look of what I saw and I fully intend to go back tomorrow”.
I had written a rather bitter diatribe about where I used to work, but on re-reading it all sounded rather petty. Let’s just say that looking back I think I might well have had grounds for a constructive dismissal case against where I used to work. In retrospect I am well out of that place. It’s been seven years and I am still getting used to be happy in my workplace.
 
“er indoors TM sent a message at lunch time. She had the arse. Having spent a little while making the bed, Bailey promptly trashed it. Bearing in mind Bailey is too small to get onto the bed unaided I suspect we've pissed on our own chips here.
She also gave me a shopping list of what I might buy on my way home (or else). Milk was OK - I can get milk. but "vegetable oil"... WTF is that? She sent me a photo of the stuff (which was helpful). Those of my colleagues who do shopping assure me it is used to make chips.
 
I came home via Tesco where I got milk and vegetable oil. I got cream cakes as well. I had to act fast though; when I came to pay, the idiot on the counter stuffed it all into a carrier bag and almost put the milk on top of the cakes, and when I stopped him he honestly couldn’t see anything wrong with doing so.
Once home we had the cakes with a cuppa. Bringing home cakes keeps “er indoors TM happy, but there’s no denying that cream slices have shrunk over the years.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up some sausages. The vegetable oil might have been involved; I have no idea. As we scoffed them we watched “Junior Bake Off”. Have you ever watched it? The children are hilarious. In today’s episode (actually broadcast some time ago) the children had to bake a gingerbread model of what they thought was the most important invention in history. Models included cars, televisions, space rockets, mobile phones, clocks… but my favourite was chicken nuggets and chips. One lad put chicken nuggets and chips as the pinnacle of human achievement.
I think he’s not entirely wrong.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment