23 November 2018 (Friday) - Got a Cold


I had something of an early night last night but didn’t sleep overly well. I woke feeling full of energy and raring to go only to find it was only half past one. I then lay awake for much of the night as Fudge grumbled every time any else so much as breathed.
I dozed off just before the alarm went off, and didn’t have time to watch an episode of “Prison Break”. I thought I might see what ws on the telly. The Sky-Plus box’s menu looked interesting at half past five, but have you ever watched the telly at half past five? The menus all say that there is this show and that show on. In reality there is just a test card saying that programs start at six o’clock. I wish they wouldn’t do that.
So I looked at the Internet over brekkie.  Facebook was relatively dull for once. Apart from the attention-seekers flaunting their maladies there were a few people posting about today being the fifty-fifth anniversary of the first broadcasting of “Doctor Who”. An anniversary I might well have missed.
I had an email from the fishing tackle shop. They have jumped on the “Black Friday” bandwagon. Here’s a link to what they are touting. I’ve grumbled before about the price of fishing tackle. Yesterday "My Boy TM" was being less than complementary about my knackered old fishing gear. The entire fishing community seems to have fallen for the marketing ploy that if two things are utterly identical in every way but price, then the more expensive one is clearly superior in every way.
Having said that, "er indoors TM" found a black screw on the kitchen floor last night. I wonder if it fell off the fishing trolley I bought that was one hundred quid cheaper than the one from which screws *don’t* fall off?

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were discussing Black Friday deals. Apparently they are all one big con; "Which" magazine claimed that nine out of every deal billed as a "Black Friday Special” was no different to the deal offered all year round.
There was also discussion about Dame Floella Benjamin who was on the kids TV show "Play School" years ago. When did she become a "dame"? She’s also now a Liberal Democrat politician. It’s amazing what happens when you aren’t paying attention.
I went to work via Sainsburys where I would have used my Nectar card *if* I'd actually received the thing. Instead I just quoted my Nectar number, and after several attempts the nice lady on the till managed to type it in properly. I've now got seventy-three pence worth of Nectar points. Seventy-three pence isn't much in the great scheme of things, but it is seventy-three pence for nothing for me.
As I then drove up the motorway my piss boiled. The country's ex-chief racist Nigel Farage was being interviewed on the radio. His successor as leader of UKIP has taken on British National Party and English Defence League front runner Tommy Robinson as some sort of advisor. All I know about the bloke is what I hear and read in the news; from what I can work out he has historically been even too racist for the racists; UKIP must be in a bad way if even Nigel Farage isn't overly keen on this turn of events.

I eventually got to work through some serious traffic, and did my bit whilst not feeling on top form. I seem to have caught a cold. A shame really; I could have done with being a tad more sprightly today. But an early start made for an early finish, and with the dogs walked I had a look at my in-box. Being up before the emails came in this morning I’d had several messages during the day.
Hartley Lands Fishery had shared the album of photos I took yesterday; I had a message asking for my advice on matters piscatorial from someone who’d seen it. They think I must be brilliant at fishing. I haven’t told "My Boy TM" about this yet; I can’t see him being impressed.
I had another email from Kent County Council about the local street lighting. They assured me that the local street lights are “at the appropriate level”. What a load of rubbish.… if the lights are at the right level then the level itself has been set wrong. How can they be “appropriate” when it is too dark to be able to see the dog on the end of the lead you are holding? I’d walked the dogs round the side roads this evening. There are islands of light round the lamp posts, but seas of darkness between them. With the shadows of parked cars it really is too dark to see anything.
I then filled out a reference for a friend. I won’t say who, or for what job, and I filled out a questionnaire about fishing for the Environment Agency.

My job lot of Lego that I ordered last week has arrived. It looks rather good. The lights in it alone are worth what I paid for it all (*if* they work). There is a motor and battery pack which look good (*if* they work). I’m not sure about the rest. I need to find somewhere to spread it all out to have a look. Somewhere where Treacle can’t eat any of it…
I might do that tomorrow… I feel grotty.

No comments:

Post a Comment