21 November 2018 (Wednesday) - Afternoon Tea


I slept a lot better than I thought I might have done; late last night the missing part of my CPAP machine appeared in Treacle’s mouth. There weren’t *too* many teeth marks, I fixed the thing and slept for over eight hours.

I looked at Facebook over brekkie and rolled my eyes. An ex-colleague “saw the light” a few years ago and Jesus has had him for a sunbeam. He was posting on Facebook about “Praise de Lawd !!!” for all the good things in his life but was again drawing a blank over the bad. I can remember a God-bothering good friend of mine finding fifty pence in the street and saying a loud and public prayer claiming it was a sign from God. But when he trod in a dog turd five minutes later that was just unlucky. (This chap is now a Baptist pastor).
Similarly eye-roll-provoking was pro-Brexit MP Nadine Dorries who has apparently attacked the government’s Brexit plan as it would leave the UK with no representation in the European Parliament. I must be missing something here? Surely this woman understands what “leaving the European Union” entails? Perhaps it is all a wind-up? Let’s hope so. If not, how can she possibly be an MP.

I then did one of those You-Gov surveys. It asked about all sots of things including my sex life. What does the government want to know about nudey sauce romps? It also asked about my leccie and gas supplies and asked about any benefits they offered. Vaguely wondering if this was in any way connected with nudey sauce romps I answered their questions and then wondered if the leccie and gas people do Nectar points.
I went to the leccie and gas people’s website and used their “live chat” thingy. After a rather tortuous conversation I found out that they stopped doing Nectar points years ago. That’s a shame. Now that I’ve got a Nectar account I’m rather keen to get some points. Apparently one thousand nectar points are worth a fiver, and I’ve currently only got twenty-six.

With the dogs leaded up "er indoors TM" and I took them round the park. Three dogs are so much easier when you’ve got someone else along. It was only a shame that Pogo had to crap in front of the nice lady at the bus stop.
As we got to the park we saw a police car driving round the footpaths. What was that about? Interestingly we also saw a chap spray-painting the wall in the play park. The police clearly hadn’t nicked him.
Mind you it was rather cold today. I was glad to get home.

We settled the dogs and went out to Tesco. Eleven days ago I wrote “I have three pairs of trainers; all of which leak. So I got a new pair…” When I was putting on those trainers last Friday one of the lace-holes ripped open. The shoes lasted for three days and ripped open on the fourth time I used them. I took them back today. The nice lady said did I want to change them. I said I did, but I couldn’t as Tesco had nothing in my size. No size ten shoes whatsoever. They gave me a refund.

From Tesco we went to Hastings and collected my mummy and daddy. We’d arranged to take them out for afternoon tea at the Royal Victoria Hotel on the sea front. In years gone by the Royal Victoria Hotel was a firm favourite place of the in-laws. Family reunions, weddings, meals… all sorts of events and family bashes.  I got the distinct impression that absolutely nothing has changed in that hotel in the intervening twenty years. Mind you they did us proud this afternoon. Enough tea and coffee to sail a battleship on, sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, posh cakes, waiter service, and even tablecloths and classical music in the background. And (courtesy of Groupon) all less than seven quid per person. I was impressed as was "er indoors TM". And mum and dad liked it (which was the main thing). They’d never been out for afternoon tea before… says the old hand at the game who has now done it four times! I *really* like afternoon tea. You get to go somewhere posh and just drink coffee (or tea) and stuff your face until you feel sick. If anyone is ever thinking of buying me a pressie and is stuck for an idea… (hint hint!)
We drove mum and dad home, then popped round to visit mother-in-law briefly. Next time she’ll be taken out to tea.

Home again. I wanted to get home before the rush hour. We got home just before five o’clock. It was rather dark as I parked. We’d taken my car as the back seat of the "er indoors TM"-mobile is a tad grubby. (I blame the dogs). Once home I loaded my fishing gear into my car. The smell of fish dissipates far quicker than the mud of dogs.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good dinner. As we scoffed it we watched last weekend’s episode of “Doctor Who” which this week wasn’t as bad as some of the episodes of this season have been. “Young Sheldon” and “Big Bang Theory” were also good.

Today was a day’s annual leave… wasn’t a bad one…

No comments:

Post a Comment