22 November 2018 (Thursday) - A Day's Fishing


I had a decent night’s sleep. I have a vague recollection of a dog barking in the small hours, but I might have been dreaming. Unless I hear anything to the contrary I will assume I was.
I got up early and over brekkie watched the most recent instalment of “The Good Place”. After several weeks of going nowhere the plot has picked up again.

I got dressed, and with two layers of socks, two layers of troosers and no less than six layers on top I drove round to collect "My Boy TM". Together we went to the co-op to get a packed lunch and seeing how the Brookfield café was already open we had a fry-up. A rather good fry-up.
And then just as it was getting light we drove out to Cranbrook and Hartley Lands Fishery. We wanted to get one day’s fishing in before it got too cold.

Hartley Lands fishery is a rather good place to be. It is beautiful, and as we fished we watched the ducks and herons flying about. We watched a little rat swimming around, and we laughed at the pheasant who was very bravely stomping around us picking up any of the fishing baits that we’d dropped.
There’s no denying that it was cold today but being layered up it wasn’t *too* bad. I used the new wellies I’d bought from Aldi the other week; they were something of a disappointment. The heels were rather high. They would probably be ideal for a transvestite who wants or needs to traverse mud, but they weren’t that stable for standard piscatorial pursuits.

Fishing-wise it wasn’t too shabby. We didn’t catch anywhere near as many as we have in previous trips, but what we caught were of rather impressive size. I had three; the smallest of which was twelve pounds in weight. The biggest was my personal best carp. "My Boy TM" had eight. We estimated the smallest as being about eight pounds in weight.

We knew it was late November; we knew we couldn’t fish for as long as we’d like to. The temperate was dropping by mid-afternoon. We started packing up at quarter to four and by the time we got home it was dark.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather decent bit of sausage and chips this evening and went off as she does. I settled in front of the telly with the dogs and slept through a couple of episodes of “Prison Break”. I think I might have a cold coming on…

No comments:

Post a Comment