10 November 2018 (Saturday) - Thornden Woods


Another restless night in which the dogs all spent much of the night stomping all over us. I say “the dogs”; mainly Pogo. As he’s such a lump you can’t help but be disturbed when he moves about.
I woke to the aroma of turd. I got up to find "er indoors TM" clearing one up. All dogs were hoiked into the garden where three of the four pooped seemingly to prove their innocence. I’d had my suspicions as to the phantom pooper, and that one didn’t “lay an egg” in the garden this morning. Mind you, toilet training has never been Pogo’s strong point. We must work on that.

Over brekkie I had a look at Facebook. Some were running down the NHS, some were ranting about what nasty people their partners and ex-partners were (and still are). As I tried to look at everyone’s petty triviality Pogo was dabbing me for attention. For all that he’s a big lump, he really is a soppy one.

We then got the dogs and our stuff into the car. That took some doing with double our usual number of dogs. Pausing only briefly to clear the mess made when Pogo threw up we were soon at Thornden Woods. We arrived just as the heavens opened. Karl, Tracey and Charlotte soon arrived, and we sat in our cars for a while.
Eventually the rains subsided to a medium monsoon, and we decided to go for the walk. I was glad we did; we had a rather good wander round some rather pretty woodlands. It was a shame that the weather hadn’t read the weather forecast but the rain had mostly stopped by eleven o’clock, and we only got caught in one downpour. I’d worn my waterproof trousers for the first time today – they did the trick rather well. I wish I knew what I’ve done with my gaiters.

Geocache-wise it was a good route. We knew the first two targets were missing but we’d arranged to replace them. The rest were mostly straightforward hides… mostly. There were a couple which the previous finder had hidden how they thought the things should have been hidden (as opposed to how they were hidden), but their efforts were soon thwarted by digging dogs. You can tell a geocache hasn’t been put back right when Treacle digs it out from where she is randomly digging in the ground.

A four-mile walk was ideal for today. Pogo and Sid aren’t used to the long walks we usually go on, and so a shorter distance was just right to get them into the swing of things.
After four miles we were back at the car. It was only a short drive from the car park in Thornden Woods to the Prince of Wales in Hoath. “Loose Cannon” was on the hand pump, “Cat o’ Nine Tails” and “Friggin in the Riggin” were in bottles. All sorts of crisps were scoffed, and a glass of port helped to wash it all down.

Pogo was sick on the drive home too…

Over a rather good bit of dinner we watched last week’s episode of “Doctor Who”. It wasn’t that good really, which was a shame. Neither was the latest episode of “Big Bang Theory” either.
I then dozed in front of the telly for much of the evening…

No comments:

Post a Comment